The Maquis

Deep Space Nine
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

The Maquis

Post by USSEnterprise »

So what is you opinion on the Maquis? I kind of like them its nice to see some more rebellious Humans in Trek. They had the grit that the Fed's seemed to lack.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Maquis

Post by Deepcrush »

The Maquis were just freedom fighters/terrorists. Someone tried to give away their homes and they fought back. Yet another failing of the UFP. Turning their own people over... for nothing.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...Someone tried to give away their homes and they fought back.
That's why I liked the Maquis, myself.
Deepcrush wrote:Yet another failing of the UFP. Turning their own people over... for nothing.
What exactly did the UFP gain by giving away that many occupied planets?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:That's why I liked the Maquis, myself.
We've had those kinds of fights right here at home.
Tsukiyumi wrote:What exactly did the UFP gain by giving away that many occupied planets?
8 years of peace up until the CU joined the Dominion.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Right. Peace with a power they should have beaten down easily.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

This is why I said they should let me run the UFP for a 4 year term... I'd take care of the problem and then everyone alive could get along with their lives.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

It was just nice to see that not all Humans had become completely pacifistic and that even though they were pretty much abandoned by their government they still fought for what their believed in.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you back people in to a corner like that... many will leave and start over. The ones who stay have nothing to lose and are going to fight to get everything back. Thats a bad day for anyone.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Agreed that they show a nice change from the impossibly cozy and peaceful milieu of TNG. While it's unfortunate that the story of their origins is a TNG fuckup, it is nevertheless nice to see the UFP get a little more character, grit, and toughness.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I always thought that ceding Federation colonies belonging to Federation citizens just to avoid a conflict with an inferior power was the biggest PUSSY move EVER made in Trek. Look at the precedent that was set. Threaten a conflict and you'll get SOMETHING more than you had before, so the Federation can cling to it's "morals". But is seems they forgot who any governments primary duty is to, it's citizens.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:I always thought that ceding Federation colonies belonging to Federation citizens just to avoid a conflict with an inferior power was the biggest PUSSY move EVER made in Trek. Look at the precedent that was set. Threaten a conflict and you'll get SOMETHING more than you had before, so the Federation can cling to it's "morals". But is seems they forgot who any governments primary duty is to, it's citizens.
It'd be like the US giving land back to Mexico to avoid a conflict. 'snot our fault if they were to be stupid enough to invite a raping by our military machine!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or an even better analogy would be to avoid any escalation in hostilities with North Korea, everyone living in the Pacific either has to up and move, leaving their homes, OR fend for themselves and not be the US's responsibility anymore.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Mexico analogy is fairly good. It's an aproximately similar disparity of power.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The one question I had about the Maquis was how was the writers going to end it? This of course was before the Dominion. It was just that, they were outnumbered and outgunned by the Cardies, and the UFP turned their backs on them.

I always thought that before the Dominion showed up, the Maquis would play a bigger part. All we got was Voyager and there was not much of a Maquis storyline there.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They would have played out like any rebellious population throughout history. Either the CU would up and leave as the planets aren't worth the cost or the CU would kill them off - man, woman and child to the last.

No force of arms can contain a population against its will. Sooner or later they'd throw the occupying army out on its ass.