Take the station

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Take the station

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Yeah I agree with the agressor getting a bonus. But why does the station get a neg, when we run normla battle moving staships dont get a neg so why would a station? Its easy to shoot from a sitting position than moving.
On a planet, sure, but in space it's a different matter - a mobile platform can manoeuvre to minimise relative velocity, whereas a station can't.

And TrekMiss seems to have vanished from YouTube. :(
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...And TrekMiss seems to have vanished from YouTube. :(
Well, good. I thought I couldn't find it because I'm a moron. I'm glad that's unrelated.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It seems to have dissapeared completely. I can't find it on Google Video either, and if you can't find it there just give up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The reasoning behind the stations penalty is it is stationary. It is firing against targets moving at high speeds, and generally maneuvering rapidly. By the time the "fire" button is pushed, the target would likely already be altering course, and since the station can't exactly move to keep the target in its field of fire, they just added a shitload more weapons to provide a better overall field of fire.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But moving starships dont have a penalty when firing at other moving target. Look at it this way.

Ship vs ship: BOTH are moving making it hard to make a shot.

Ship vs station: Moving object firing at stationary object, thus it gets a bonus.

Station vs ship: Still target vs moving. Hard but easier than ship vs ship.

So why should a station suffer a penalty when a ship vs ship doesnt?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Because a ship can correct its course to hold an enemy in its line of fire, where a station (at least with banks) cant. We've seen this with the massive amount of firepower deployed by DS9, with maybe only half of the shots actually hitting.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.