Plane crash in Thailand

In the real world
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Plane crash in Thailand

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Scores killed in Thai plane crash
At least 87 people have died after a budget airliner crashed after landing in heavy rain at the Thai holiday resort of Phuket, officials say.

The aircraft slipped off the runway and exploded into flames. It was carrying 123 passengers - most of them foreigners - and seven crew.

About 40 people escaped the burning wreckage and were taken to hospital.

Flight OG 269, operated by airline One-Two-Go, had flown to Phuket from the Thai capital, Bangkok.

Officials say at least 87 people were confirmed dead after the plane skidded off the runway in strong winds and driving rain on Sunday.

A French tourist aboard a plane behind the one that crashed told AFP news agency she saw the accident happen.

"When the plane landed it caught fire," she said. "We could see the fire coming out of it."

Phuket Deputy Governor Worapot Ratthaseema said 42 people had been taken to hospital.

More than half the passengers were reported to be foreigners.

Hospital officials told AFP news agency that those injured included nationals from Australia, Austria, Britain, Iran, Ireland, Italy and the Netherlands.

Aborted landing?

There was an explosion and a fire as the McDonnell Douglas MD-82 landed.

Survivor Parinwit Chusaeng told Thai TV: "I saw passengers engulfed in fire as I stepped over them on the way out of the plane.

"I was afraid that the airplane was going to explode, so I ran away."

Both pilots are said to be among the survivors.

Rescue operations are under way at the airport and doctors are being flown to Phuket to treat the injured.

The flight, en route from Bangkok, was approaching Phuket airport when the pilot asked to abort the landing, an aviation official told Thai television.

"The control tower allowed it but the aircraft fell to the runway and the body broke," he said.

One-Two-Go is one of Thailand's first budget airlines.

It was set up in December 2003 as a subsidiary of Orient Thai Airways, and services domestic routes.

This is Thailand's deadliest aviation accident since December 1998, when 101 people were killed after a Thai Airways crashed on landing near another southern resort.
Source
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"