Captain Data

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Captain Data

Post by Teaos »

Not really sure if this needs its own threads. But I recently read the count down comics...

Captain Data? Really? Didnt they make the point in Nemesis that B4's brain was not advanced enough to become Data, that even if it could hold the memory he could never truely be another Data?

And doesnt bringing him back to life cheapen Data's death in Nemesis?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Captain Data

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Not really sure if this needs its own threads. But I recently read the count down comics...

Captain Data? Really? Didnt they make the point in Nemesis that B4's brain was not advanced enough to become Data, that even if it could hold the memory he could never truely be another Data?

Yup but the writing on the wall for that was obvious from the beginning. Even shittier cause it's almost a direct C&P of TWOK/TSFS.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Another odd thing is they would give him the Flagship when they were not happy giving him any command not long ago. The Captain of the E-E is probably the most sort after roll in the fleet.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Another odd thing is they would give him the Flagship when they were not happy giving him any command not long ago. The Captain of the E-E is probably the most sort after roll in the fleet.
Indeed, he had been in the fleet for 26 years as of the Klingon Civil War and was only a Lt. Cmdr. Which implies he was either a shitty officer or there was some definite prejudice there.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Teaos wrote:Not really sure if this needs its own threads. But I recently read the count down comics...

More like it corrects the biggest mistake the Nemesis made. Data's. Death. Was. Completely. And Utterly. Unnecessary. They had so many options to get around that.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Teaos wrote:And doesnt bringing him back to life cheapen Data's death in Nemesis?
I said it the last time this came up. His death was already cheap and meaningless in Nemesis, all this does is move the shit into a new configuration.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Like a snowman?

Made of feces?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Exactly. Dress it up, put a smile on it. It's still shit.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Exactly. Dress it up, put a smile on it. It's still s**t.
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

Humm new timeline new data down the road, and making that one a captain is a nice idea
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Any thoughts on who could play Data in the new timeline?
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Meh didn't care for Nemesis. Data's death was a waste, I just wish they came up with something more orginal to bring him back. IE isn't lore's body still around somewhere?
Genius insania et conseri manum
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

USS Aeon wrote:Meh didn't care for Nemesis. Data's death was a waste, I just wish they came up with something more orginal to bring him back. IE isn't lore's body still around somewhere?
Honestly, when I was watching the movie, I was hoping the "B-4" thing was a ruse, and it was actually Lore working with Shinzon.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
USS Aeon wrote:Meh didn't care for Nemesis. Data's death was a waste, I just wish they came up with something more orginal to bring him back. IE isn't lore's body still around somewhere?
Honestly, when I was watching the movie, I was hoping the "B-4" thing was a ruse, and it was actually Lore working with Shinzon.
That would have been a great angle
Genius insania et conseri manum
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

THat would have been so much better, what ever happened to lore?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang