"Admiral" Janeway's worst screw-up?

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just because you have the technology dosen't mean you could understand it or mass produce it easily, try giving Leonardo da Vinci a laptop computer. He may be a genius, he may even be able to figure out how to use it, but he would never be able to understand how to build one, the technology is too far ahead of him.
By the time Starfleet does figure this stuff out and puts it into use, Janeway might be dead or retired.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Voyager ALMOST got it working and its v=crewed by your average joes.

Starfleet R&D would have a field day with all the information Voyager brings back.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Voyager ALMOST got it working and its v=crewed by your average joes.
True.
Thats one of the things I hated most about that show.
Starfleet R&D would have a field day with all the information Voyager brings back.
I suppose so.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Hard to say what screw up had the biggest ramifications, since such things are not easy to extrapolate. Past a certain point you just can't say that X happened because of Y.
True, but I'd say standing Voyager in the Delta Quadrant in the first place is pretty quantifiable - if she hadn't made that screwup, she wouldn't have been in a position to make any of the others.
To me, her greatest screw up was the thing she did that was most clearly and obviously wrong. And I'd go with her murder of Tuvix.
Well, given the debate that produced both when it came up for the weekly poll, and in the thread here, I'd say that that isn't as clear as you make it out to be. For a clear-cut case of a morally indefensible action, I'd go for her attempted murder of Lessings in Equinox Pt 2.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

She also relieved Chakotay in that for trying to stop her mass murdering the Equinox.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wouldn't call that a screw up so much as something amoral.

A screw up is "Oh Sh*t I shouldnt have done that*

That was more of a "I did what I thought I had to*

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:That was more of a "I did what I thought I had to*
More like "His Captain made me look like a fool so I'm going to give him to the aliens they've been torturing as dinner because I'm a vindictive psychopath."
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Probably why I like her. Who doesnt love a psychopath.

kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The Alliance with the Borg always struck me as her worst mistake.

There was granting Quinn asylum, thus sparking off a war in the Continuum. And going after Chakotays baby, thus losing Voyager, and I think 4 crew members.

Lets not be too harsh though, how many people died due to Picards misjudgments?. Another thread is needed I think :)
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:Probably why I like her. Who doesnt love a psychopath.
Ya, thats why House is so popular(show about crazy old man doctor who doesn't seem to have a moral center and loves solving medical puzzles)
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Being aloud to join Starfleet in the first place.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I agree with judge king. She's a pain in the hind side that should never have been given command of a ship like Voyager! Maybe an Oberth but not a long range light cruiser. Why doesn't starfleet think about who they put in command of their ships.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush, there is a flaw in your thinking.
You seem to be under the assumption that the people who assigned Janeway to the Voyager had some inteligence, when its canon fact that Starfleet does not admit anyone with an IQ over 100. :wink:
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

You seem to be under the assumption that the people who assigned Janeway to the Voyager had some inteligence, when its canon fact that Starfleet does not admit anyone with an IQ over 100.
Well, yeah; plus, everyone knows all Starfleet Admirals are insane anyway... :D
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Deepcrush, there is a flaw in your thinking.
You seem to be under the assumption that the people who assigned Janeway to the Voyager had some inteligence, when its canon fact that Starfleet does not admit anyone with an IQ over 100. :wink:
Data?