Crippled Klingons?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Crippled Klingons?

Post by Teaos »

We know due to the over heard report that the Klingons lost 48 ships (I think thats the number) during the movies time frame.

Now even though this is a reboot and a bit has changed I cant imagin fleet sizes changing "that" much, although speeds apparently have.

And 48, even for the modern fleets of the Federation and Klingons is a lot of ships, more than Wolf 359. For TOS era fleet this is a MASSIVE number of ships.

So is this a crippling blow to the Klingons? Was it done on purpose to remove them as a threat latter on in the franchise? They could have said 3 ships and it still would have been impressive, thus they must have choosen that high number for a reason.

Although it is odd that when ever anyone heard this no one was "OMFG?!?!?" which is the reaction you'd expect of people when they find out one of your potential enemies lost a signifigant portion of your fleet.

And given the Federation lost a dozen or so ships, the Klingons 4 times that much, to the Romulans no less, might this be a very good thing for the Romulans in the current era?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Crippled Klingons?

Post by Atekimogus »

To be honest, given the huge fleets during the dominion war numbering in the thousands I never really thought about it much but now that you mention it you have quite a good point here.

Maybe the reason why nobody was unsettled much is because the fleets in this time are generally larger than they were in TOS. After the Kelvin incident it is speculated that starfleet became much more militarised, bigger ships and quite possible far more ships than considered necessary during TOS. This on the other hand could have very well triggered an arms race with the klingons with whom they still are in a cold war state leading to comparativly more ships.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

47 warbirds, to be exact. ;)

But, as with all the inconsistencies, I highly doubt it was purposefully chosen or that it will be stuck to, or that it will be followed up on, sadly. More like tossing out numbers to make the Narada this huge threat. :?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

When I saw this thread title, I pictured a bunch of Klingons in spiky wheelchairs rolling into battle. :lol:

Even if the fleet numbers are larger, losing 47 ships is a serious blow. It could make for a great excuse for the Klingons' absence in the new film series. JJ Abrams is on record saying he doesn't want to use them as antagonists, period. Maybe he'll change his mind at some point, but for now, it looks like there won't be any space vikings in the Abramsverse.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tsukiyumi wrote:When I saw this thread title, I pictured a bunch of Klingons in spiky wheelchairs rolling into battle. :lol:
I was thinking about that one armed fella from The Undiscovered Country.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Atekimogus wrote:Maybe the reason why nobody was unsettled much is because the fleets in this time are generally larger than they were in TOS. After the Kelvin incident it is speculated that starfleet became much more militarised, bigger ships and quite possible far more ships than considered necessary during TOS. This on the other hand could have very well triggered an arms race with the klingons with whom they still are in a cold war state leading to comparativly more ships.
So a larger Cold War vs the Klingons, leading to a higher level of militarizaion? That means Praxis blows up sooner, right?

So that is why they don't see the Klingons much later, their main dilithium mine just blew up.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Klingons are just f'n stupid. Why would they risk 'overmining and insufficient safety precautions' of a moon orbiting their homeworld. As far as I'm concerned, they deserved to lose 47 ships to Nero...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I took the huge number as an attempt to make the Narada seem invincible (in this time period). However, Starfleet obviously has built not only more but way bigger ships so the "arms race" idea seems to hold.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Victory is Life wrote:Klingons are just f'n stupid. Why would they risk 'overmining and insufficient safety precautions' of a moon orbiting their homeworld. As far as I'm concerned, they deserved to lose 47 ships to Nero...
Humans are just f'n stupid. Why would they build a Tchernobyl ON their homeworld? :twisted: As far as I am concerned during TOS the klingons are the soviets of that time and altough they have certain weaknesses I wouldn't say they are stupid.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

during TOS the klingons are the soviets of that time
:lol:
Yah, that was the actual comparison made by Roddenberry.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

stitch626 wrote:
during TOS the klingons are the soviets of that time
:lol:
Yah, that was the actual comparison made by Roddenberry.
I always thought that was a little too obvious. Only thing they could have done to make it worse was start calling klingons comrade.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, the whole UFP/KE rivalry was at that time meant to be a parallel of the Cold War. Quite ironic, given that the UFP would later turn out to be the commies in the end. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Maybe that says something about the future of the United States...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I like the idea of spending some time away from the klingons. They need a break.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

LaughingCheese wrote: But, as with all the inconsistencies, I highly doubt it was purposefully chosen or that it will be stuck to, or that it will be followed up on, sadly. More like tossing out numbers to make the Narada this huge threat. :?
And now my gut feeling is confirmed.
Sign seen as Kirk drives motorcycle into Riverside Ship Yard reads 'Sector 47′, the number 47 is a recurring theme on the Abrams shows Alias, Fringe and Lost, as well as TNG era Trek
Memory Alpha-Significance [or lack thereof] of 47