Sol post Dominion War.

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sol post Dominion War.

Post by Deepcrush »

This brings up another point of the matter. The Dominion talked about attacking Earth but never mounted the plan. Even Martok couldn't believe that anyone was bold enough to do it and then... after reading the report... was even more shocked by how well earth handled the surprise attack. Though I think its really stupid that the Breen even got close to earth or Sol for that matter. The leader of the Klingon Empire (was he the leader at this point or just the Supreme Commander?) treats it as a major deal. Before the DW getting to Earth was pretty easy. The DW must have changed that a lot!

So.
Pre-DW we have 3 unmanned probes defending earth. Plus Starbase 74 if it happens to be on the right side of the planet for the attack.

Enter-DW we have at least 30 ships in orbit of Earth (Voy Endgame) and more likely twice that on patrol and just outside the system. Say 100 ships to make it even.

Post-DW... What would you put in Sol and around Earth?
Reading back I remembered this and it rang that it was out of place and should have a space of its own.

The overall question is this. "What would you do too protect Sol after the DW?" You are a Fleet Admiral commanding the new "Core Fleet" which is tasked to protecting the Core Worlds of the UFP. Sol, Vulcan, Andoria and Telarite. Your home base is Sol.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Sol post Dominion War.

Post by Atekimogus »

Well what about starbases? I admit I do not know but I always had the impression that there is at least one STarbase 79 type starbase in orbit around earth.

Yet, always when earth is attacked there is no starbase (or satelites or orbital facilites, space docks or any other structure in orbit) Arent the San Francisco Fleet yards supposed to orbit earth?

Well to the original question. I would put (if not there already) a Starbase 79 type starbase into orbit. According to these unoffical blueprints - starbase79 - those facilities are able to dock 16 constitution class ships. Since defiants are about half the size I would permadock 32 Defiantclass ships. No other shipclass makes sense imho. They are short ranged with a very special role (combat) needing only a very small crew making them perfect for defense duties.

Larger ships are a waste imho, ships designed to function unsupported for years and exploring the galaxy should exactly do that not stay at home waiting for an enemy. (I am talking after the DW-War, during Wartime sure there are also heavy hitters at home no question.)

So you have a large starbase on each planet with a 32 ship defiant fleet which should be enough to handle anything you could expect during peacetime, even the occasional borg cube :wink:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Do you mean Starbase 74 type? I can't find a Starbase 79.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Hm..interesting, DITL has it as starbase 74. Well just follow the blueprint link to know which one I mean. Considering that there are two versions of them (a TMP and a TNG one) without an offical designation it is a bit complicated.

A..I found it, DITL lists the starbase 79 from the blueprints as spacedock.

Well no matter, basically one or two of those stuffed with defiants, thats what I am talking about :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ok, so you would put (I'm guessing since there is already one) a total of three Spacedocks around Earth which would equal 96 Defiant Class ships as the protection force around Earth. One thing to think of is that those large stations are used to repair and build starships. Building something that massive to feed a few small starships really isn't cost effective.

However, that being said. 96 Defiants is a nice sized force to have around Earth. Plus two extra Spacedocks building new starships is always a plus.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well my point is more that those starbases should already be in orbit around every planet. If not dock them somewhere else I just wouldn't keep them flying around with full crews doing nothing. Basically like the Defiant at DS9 just in much much larger numbers.

One Defiant has a crew of what? 50 people? You probably cannot have more bang for your buck :twisted: .
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Armed space stations, ground to space phaser and torpedo arrays, sensor systems to detect cloaked ships, and a strong system defence fleet. That should be enough to hold off most attacks.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Didn't VOY give off a transwarp signature on its arrival anyway? So its reasonable to assume that even all the ships they showed were just everything they could scrap together on such short notice.

I think really 200 pure war ships like the Defiant would be better plus a grid of powerful defense turrets. And hell if ENT had a super laser on the Moon I'm sure DS9 could have one by then.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lets try to keep it in the bounds of TNG/DS9. Use what they have and tells us why and how many. Akeiki got it started pretty well.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We know the Feds arent big fans of giving weapons to computers, they dont like unmanned defences or offences.

And after long peroids of peace defenes always laps.

So as much as I hope they would learn their lesson I cant see them keeping lots of ships around, the Defiants class ships would be kept around due to not being up to long travel, but I wouldnt be suprised if the bigger more capable ships get sent out on standard missions with just a few for defence.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

To begin with each of the core systems will be given a set of significant fixed defenses. Ground based phaser and torpedo arrays with shield generators for vital locations like C^3i installations, military bases, power plants, etc. Then we move into space. Design and construct some defensive platforms. A large power source wrapped in as much armor, shields, phasers, and torpedoes as you can stuff into it. Build a tight grid of them over the planet. With phaser and torpedo ranges a few dozen should be able to give heavy coverage around the whole globe. Just for fun give them some small impulse engines to let them maneuver around the planet. I'd do this for each important world in the system. For instance at Sol Earth, the Moon, Mars, and the Jupiter installations would all be getting this treatment.

Those platforms would be the home base of multiple Defiant class ships. Based off their sizes I'd be stationing at least 20 or more per major system.

Fixed planetary defenses would be sized off of one mark, the ability to destroy a Borg cube.

Finally I'd create a mobile reserve fleet built around ships like Akiras, weapon pod Nebulas, Sovereigns and the like. They would patrol the core worlds ready to head immediately for any threatened system. About ~40 ships permanently assigned to that duty.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Replace those starfish-looking construction stations and drydocks with true Spacedock/Starbase 74 type stations. At least add one or two, and then take the orbital offices/Regula-type small stations - of which I assume there are a lot - and give 'em a Sisko/O'Brien type refit. Unmanned or lightly-manned stations, including waves of those UAV's, stationed at ALL planets from Mars outward. Picket stations and listening posts outside Pluto's orbit.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Spacedock is horrible for defence, sure its big and strong but it only covers a tiny fraction of the planets defence and is eady to avoid since it cant really be moved. There is also the "all your eggs in one basket arguement, honestly, I would prefer a lot of drydocks for fleet building and 1-2 spacedocks for logistics and building the important stuff.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Teaos wrote:Spacedock is horrible for defence, sure its big and strong but it only covers a tiny fraction of the planets defence and is eady to avoid since it cant really be moved. There is also the "all your eggs in one basket arguement, honestly, I would prefer a lot of drydocks for fleet building and 1-2 spacedocks for logistics and building the important stuff.
For the most part I agree, however the spacedock would have a use as a fortress. It's a bad idea as an invading force to leave such a viable staging point for UFP forces to gather at so close to your newly conquered planet. You'd have to take the spacedock out, and it would cost you, but not as much as ignoring it and letting a fleet of UFP ships form up at it.

That said, if all you wanted to do was smash the world and move on, then yeah, spacedock is useless.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Spacedock is horrible for defence, sure its big and strong but it only covers a tiny fraction of the planets defence and is eady to avoid since it cant really be moved. There is also the "all your eggs in one basket arguement, honestly, I would prefer a lot of drydocks for fleet building and 1-2 spacedocks for logistics and building the important stuff.
That's why I suggested having more than one - three placed equidistant should be able to provide coverage, especially when supplemented by the smaller stations upfitted a la the upgunned DS9.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer