Setting of the next movie!

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Setting of the next movie!

Post by Atekimogus »

How much time do you think should pass between XI and XII in universe?

For example for First Contact we got the shiny new E-E kicking borg ass, quite beautiful.
Insurrection, the Ship was still new to most but suddenly got her a.. handed to her by the bigger Son'a, dissapointing really.
Nemesis, the beautiful E-E which most consider still quite new because we hardly have seen her is already called an antiquated ship. After the first WTF moment and a quick look at the time passed in universe you suddenly realise that between First Contact and Nemesis more than a seven season series run has passed without anyone noticing it.

So for the next movie how much time should pass? Immediatly start after XI? One year after XI, or two years? Even more years?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Setting of the next movie!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A matter of months at most. I don't mind seeing Kirk after he has had a couple of exploits as Captain under his belt, but I wouldn't like it to jump years ahead when he's all settled and comfy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The whole point of the reboot is to be new, I doubt they will jump ahead any more than a year.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Agreed. Half the fun was watching the crew get to know each other...........maybe a year of exploration with some references to some minor adventures (say a nod to Talos IV now that Pike will never make it there, and the introduction of Gary Mitchell, even briefly). Then toss them up against the Klingons. Kirk was destined to butt heads with Klingons.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

With the new higher speeds, the long missions just arent going to be the same. No five year missions.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd like it to be just a few months ahead at most. I'd like to see the young, arrogant Kirk learning how to run the ship properly, how to confront problems in the best manner. I'd like to see him learning all he needs to become the captain we saw in TOS.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Teaos wrote:With the new higher speeds, the long missions just arent going to be the same. No five year missions.
That assumes that they'll actually acknowledge the higher speeds. I mean the E-E managed to make a run from the Romulan border back to Earth in a heart beat and I don't think anyone is going to claim that Vulcan is farther from Earth than the Romulan border. More than likely it's just another case of moving at the speed of plot.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

God I hope not, if they're fast they're fast, if slow they're slow. You cant mess it up.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And yet the most inconsistent thing in Trek is ship speeds. I have zero hope that's going to improve.