Dominion War Redux

Deep Space Nine
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dominion War Redux

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Unless they simply appoint someone from elsewhere to be in charge.
Like Janeway... :worried:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I was really just talking about the general facts of the situation, in re Bajoran oversight of a Fed station, rather than the particular condition of Kira being in charge.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ah, but Bajor was a member of the UFP by this point. Though, I think you are right about watching out for any fanatics.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Deepcrush wrote:Ah, but Bajor was a member of the UFP by this point. Though, I think you are right about watching out for any fanatics.
They officially joined th UFP on September 29, 2376. (DS9 novel: Unity)
Bryan Moore wrote:With most of the Alpha Quadrant powers devastated after the Borg invasions depicted in the Destiny Trilogy, wouldn't it be an awesome time for the Dominion to strike back at the Alpha Quadrant? We don't know how badly the Dominion was harmed during the war, but with the Founders cured and I'm sure a lot of building going on in the Gamma Quadrant, if I were the Feds I'd be afraid of a fleet of tens of thousands pouring out of the Wormhole.
I would feel sorry for the Dominion if they attacked after the Borg Invasion in ST Destiny. All those Federation ships with Transphasic Torpedoes. It'd be a massacre for the Dominion.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Little matter of canonicity there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They said in the end of that book that 40% of the fleet destroyed. Consdering that it was 5 or 6 years after the Dominion War, I don't think the fleet was back up to full pre-Dominion War strength. Granted, the ships built in those 5 or 6 years are probably superior to the ones destroyed in the Dominion War.

Do we even know if the Transphasic Torpedoes are effective against non-Borg ships? They could have been designed as a anti-Borg weapon, specifically designed for the Borg.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:...Do we even know if the Transphasic Torpedoes are effective against non-Borg ships? They could have been designed as a anti-Borg weapon, specifically designed for the Borg.
Welcome to the DITL forum, McAvoy. :)

We've considered that before; I, for one, believe that to be true. Otherwise, there'd be no good reason why the Enterprise E didn't use them during Nemesis.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, the book could say that the fleet comprised a parking lot full of Yugos. Novels are non-canon.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

How Transphasic Torpedoes work according to GTTS:
Greater Than The Sum wrote:The transphasic torpedoes work by delivering a subspace compression pulse existing in an asymmetric superposition of phase states. If one subcomponent of the pulse is blocked by shielding, enough others will still succeed in penetrating to the target to ensure that the majority of the pulse is still delivered. Each torpedo's transphasic configuration is different, randomly generated by a dissonant feedback effect, so there is no way for the Borg to predict the configuration of its phase states in order to shield against them.
Going by the description, the transphasic torpedoes should work on non-Borg ships just as well.

Mikey, you do realize this is a scenario that takes place after the events of a non-canon work right, so non-canon is definitely aloud.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

First, what is this?
JudgeKing wrote:GTTS:
Secondly, about this:
JudgeKing wrote:Going by the description, the transphasic torpedoes should work on non-Borg ships just as well.
Why in hell didn't the E-E use them against the Scimitar? One or two torps; fight over.

I don't buy it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Maybe E-E didn't have them at the time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tsukiyumi wrote:We've considered that before; I, for one, believe that to be true. Otherwise, there'd be no good reason why the Enterprise E didn't use them during Nemesis.
But there's still the question of why they didn't use the Batmobile ablative armor, which was shown to be effective against non-Borg ships.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:We've considered that before; I, for one, believe that to be true. Otherwise, there'd be no good reason why the Enterprise E didn't use them during Nemesis.
But there's still the question of why they didn't use the Batmobile ablative armor, which was shown to be effective against non-Borg ships.
Good point. Of course, half of that movie made no sense, so... I guess we have our OOU answer.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

McAvoy wrote:They said in the end of that book that 40% of the fleet destroyed. Consdering that it was 5 or 6 years after the Dominion War, I don't think the fleet was back up to full pre-Dominion War strength. Granted, the ships built in those 5 or 6 years are probably superior to the ones destroyed in the Dominion War.
Welcome to the site. :)
Unfortunately, the books are not canon. All we've got to work with is what we see in the show. Though the books are sometimes good sources of speculation.
McAvoy wrote:Do we even know if the Transphasic Torpedoes are effective against non-Borg ships? They could have been designed as a anti-Borg weapon, specifically designed for the Borg.
Aye, that's been brought up before. We really can't be sure, though evidence would seem to point to them being specified Borg-busters.
JudgeKing wrote:How Transphasic Torpedoes work according to GTTS:
Again, nice, but non-canon.
JudgeKing wrote:Mikey, you do realize this is a scenario that takes place after the events of a non-canon work right, so non-canon is definitely aloud
Bryan was speculating about the success of a Borg invasion after the events in the Destiny trilogy. That does not make all non-canon sources admissable.
And in any case, the thread seems to have turned into a generic "Dominion War MK2" debate.
Deepcrush wrote:Maybe E-E didn't have them at the time.
So the flagship of the UFP, one of its most powerful vessels, was armed with sub-standard weapons? I don't really buy that.
Either they're specified anti-Borg weapons, or Starfleet was unable to recreate them following future-Janeway's death.
Lazar wrote: But there's still the question of why they didn't use the Batmobile ablative armor, which was shown to be effective against non-Borg ships.
Again, I like to go with the belief that they simply couldn't recreate the stuff without future-Janeway's help.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

McAvoy wrote:They said in the end of that book that 40% of the fleet destroyed. Consdering that it was 5 or 6 years after the Dominion War, I don't think the fleet was back up to full pre-Dominion War strength. Granted, the ships built in those 5 or 6 years are probably superior to the ones destroyed in the Dominion War.
Welcome to the site. :)
Unfortunately, the books are not canon. All we've got to work with is what we see in the show. Though the books are sometimes good sources of speculation.
McAvoy wrote:Do we even know if the Transphasic Torpedoes are effective against non-Borg ships? They could have been designed as a anti-Borg weapon, specifically designed for the Borg.
Aye, that's been brought up before. We really can't be sure, though evidence would seem to point to them being specified Borg-busters.
JudgeKing wrote:How Transphasic Torpedoes work according to GTTS:
Again, nice, but non-canon.
JudgeKing wrote:Mikey, you do realize this is a scenario that takes place after the events of a non-canon work right, so non-canon is definitely aloud
Bryan was speculating about the success of a Borg invasion after the events in the Destiny trilogy. That does not make all non-canon sources admissable.
And in any case, the thread seems to have turned into a generic "Dominion War MK2" debate.
Deepcrush wrote:Maybe E-E didn't have them at the time.
So the flagship of the UFP, one of its most powerful vessels, was armed with sub-standard weapons? I don't really buy that.
Either they're specified anti-Borg weapons, or Starfleet was unable to recreate them following future-Janeway's death.
Lazar wrote: But there's still the question of why they didn't use the Batmobile ablative armor, which was shown to be effective against non-Borg ships.
Again, I like to go with the belief that they simply couldn't recreate the stuff without future-Janeway's help.