Theory on why the Supernova was like that...

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Theory on why the Supernova was like that...

Post by LaughingCheese »

Monroe wrote:"threaten the Galaxy" could mean simply the peace and stability of the Galaxy by the sudden power vacuum.

I think perhaps the Alpha Quadrant would be more peaceful without the Romulans, although Nemesis seemed to indicate a general trend towards pacification. I think though, that without Romulus we would see the ascendancy of the Klingons and Cardassians even more so.
Or it could mean the star would have a Gama Ray burst which would cause huge amounts of the Romulan Empire to suffer which would threaten the Galaxy for the same reasons.
Then the effects should have shown a gamma ray burst, not a supernova. A supernova expands outwards in all directions; a gamma burst would have been in single direction, and the odds are hugeley against being baked by a gamma ray burst anytime soon.

You can't win guys, they goofed with the whole supernova crap, end of story. :lol:

But, like I said, still a great movie.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think perhaps the Alpha Quadrant would be more peaceful without the Romulans, although Nemesis seemed to indicate a general trend towards pacification. I think though, that without Romulus we would see the ascendancy of the Klingons and Cardassians even more so.
Considering Nero's actions, Spock was dead right. The "supernova" did threaten the entire galaxy, leading one crazy Romulan (and his band of followers) to seek revenge against the Federation (and the Klingons, and probably everyone else. He may have even gone as far as challenging the Borg if he has a chance).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

and then he would have been assimilated.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Which in turn would have given the Borg an introduction to 24th century technology in the 23rd century. Thus, galaxy gets assimilated (but then, because the Federation no longer existed, it would be possible that the Borg would eventually try to get at 8472 and this time be totally eradicated).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Presuming that they were able to assimilate a vessel centuries more advanced.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Borg would have numbers on their side. The Narada would probably rip up a 23rd century cube but ten, twenty?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Assuming Nero's stupid enough to hang around and face those odds.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm seeing him as kind of an Ahab guy. The Borg are a threat to the Romulan Empire he'll try and take them out, even if it kills him.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but I think he's pragmatic enough to wait until he's crippled them before getting himself killed.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

True. I never got a really good read on him, just the general Ahab style vibe from him.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well IIRC the borg would already have Transwarp, so the second he ran into those kind of odds he'd be screwed either way, try to fight and you're assimilated, try to run, they catch you and your assimilated.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Who says they've got transwarp?
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

I see the next movie involving the borg, in probably the COOLEST way possible. Maybe Abrams will make a serious, epic space opera for the next one, really drawing on the initial terror that the Borg represented, I can only imagine Abramverse Borg, Robert Orci could seriously run with a concept like that, make them fearsome, I mean, who better than the writing team that did Transformers to reboot the Borg, wow, what a concept...Kirk vs Borg, or better yet, Ripped Shirt Kirk vs the Borg, the borg dont stand a chance. I see three strong possibilities for the next movie, Borg, klingon, or Khan. I can't effin wait!
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No Kahn, no borg.

NO FUCKING BORG! Ugh. They've been done to death in recent Trek. As for Kahn, it's too early and let him stay a prime timeline thing. Ugh, if they're that bankrupt of ideas already they need to quit.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

God I hope not...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.