Self-Destruct

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Self-Destruct

Post by Nickswitz »

Why is it that self destruct blows up the bridge first.

As seen in TSFS, Enterprise self destruct
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Self-Destruct

Post by Captain Seafort »

On the Connie, a lot of computer systems seemed to be built into the bridge itself, rather than simply being linked to the main core. It would therefore make sense to have packets set specifically to destroy those components before the main change went.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, that would make sense, thanks.
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, it would ensure the computers' destruction. Otherwise, it's conceivable that the bridge might be flung clear of the blast as the ship is torn apart, leading to the computers (and all the information within them) remaining intact.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The self destruct in TSFS didn't seem that effective - half of the Enterprise seemed to survive, and was only destroyed because it entered Genesis's atmosphere.

Still, deaded all the Klingons in a hurry.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As Seafort alluded to, complete vaporization of the ship isn't what's important - destruction of the sensitive material is.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye. Just blow up enough that they can get nothing useful from the ship. Technicaly the entire hull could remain intact and the ship would still be utterly useless to the enemy. The ship just becomes one more hunk of metal floating through space.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

So couldn't they do a whole system wipe and it would do the same thing?
The world ended

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nickswitz wrote:So couldn't they do a whole system wipe and it would do the same thing?
No - the only reliable way to ensure the destruction of all data on a system is to physically destroy the hardware.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Fair enough, It seemed to have worked, I mean the Klingons only lost things... :lol:
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:So couldn't they do a whole system wipe and it would do the same thing?
No - the only reliable way to ensure the destruction of all data on a system is to physically destroy the hardware.
In addition, you're at the same time denying the enemy a material asset.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That as well, yeah.
The world ended

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

kostmayer wrote:The self destruct in TSFS didn't seem that effective - half of the Enterprise seemed to survive, and was only destroyed because it entered Genesis's atmosphere.

Still, deaded all the Klingons in a hurry.
Rumour has it that there are two destruct modes. Kirk specified "Destruct zero", which is a low level destruct; it detonates various explosive charges in key areas around the ship. Had he specified "destruct one" it would have detonated the antimatter fuel pods, resulting in a vastly larger explosion.

Non canon, but it's intended to explain why ST III showed a fairly minor bang when TMP indicated that a M/Am reaction would easily destroy the ~100 km long V'Ger.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Rumour has it that there are two destruct modes. Kirk specified "Destruct zero", which is a low level destruct; it detonates various explosive charges in key areas around the ship. Had he specified "destruct one" it would have detonated the antimatter fuel pods, resulting in a vastly larger explosion.
Hmm, that makes a lot of sense. I had always wondered why the destruct sequence in STIII left the hull mostly intact, when total obliteration would have seemed possible.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Rumour has it that there are two destruct modes. Kirk specified "Destruct zero", which is a low level destruct; it detonates various explosive charges in key areas around the ship. Had he specified "destruct one" it would have detonated the antimatter fuel pods, resulting in a vastly larger explosion.

Non canon, but it's intended to explain why ST III showed a fairly minor bang when TMP indicated that a M/Am reaction would easily destroy the ~100 km long V'Ger.
That was in the old Mr Scott's Guide To The Enterprise tech book, I should go see if I still have it.