The Fleet

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Fleet

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I really like the new/old spacedock. Reminds me a bit of the one from the TOS Technical manuall:)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
PMN1
Crewman
Crewman

Post by PMN1 »

Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Welcome to DITL, PMN1! :wave: The first pic looks like a pirated movie cap, and the last one is from the official movie website. In any case, I really do like these new designs - it's nice to have more of a fleshed out canon fleet.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

First is a movie cap, the last is an official wallpaper from the trek site. The two in between are a guy's attempt to draw the two new ships we saw.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote:They were in one system, which doesn't seem right for a war. My impression was that it was a disaster response. One of the things that intrigued me about this movie is that Starfleet's humanitarian aide role seemed to be played up a good deal more than it previously has been.
Well this is Vulcan not some tiny 5 man colony.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They've done a lot of humanitarian missions before, mostly in TNG, they just tended to get side tracked in the middle of them.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What intrigued me with this film was the emphasis. Starfleet have always done humanitarian aid missions (when they aren't arbitrarily leaving you all to die because you're too primitive, of course), but if you ask somebody in TNG what Starfleet IS, you get three basic answers - science/exploration, diplomacy, and defence.

Here, Starfleet was described as a "Peacekeeping and humanitarian armada." It's not that I think humanitarian aid is something new, it's that it just seemed that that aspect of the mission has been pushed front and center for this movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Here, Starfleet was described as a "Peacekeeping and humanitarian armada." It's not that I think humanitarian aid is something new, it's that it just seemed that that aspect of the mission has been pushed front and center for this movie.

Thats one aspect that i love in this movie, i always thought the whole exploration/diplomacy thing was stupid. as noble a cause as peace and exploration is it would be like the US military being devoted to scientific/exploration persuits as a primary role and combat secondary. its a great idealistic goal but doesn't work to well in the real world. granted were comparing apples to oranges but i would think that starfleet would have fleets more devoted to science and others, much larger fleets devoted to peace keeping, system defence and policing, as well as humanitatian efforts as well as outright combat. but these tasks are never outlined well in the shows or movies.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well, the purpose of starfleet sure seemed to have changed over the years. A few examples from the TOS Tech Manual (Sure it is not canon but I think it is quite well in the spirit of TOS)
"There is established a Star Fleet as the armed peace-keeping forces of the United Federation of Planets............... It is the intent of these Articles of Federation that Star Fleet shall be used to conduct missions of scientific exploration and investigation within the treaty exploration territory whenever its services are not required in the maintenance of interplanetary peace and security"
So in TOS times they seemed to were -above all -a peace-keeping force and scienting only when nothing else was to do. I must admit I quite like the TOS Tech Manuall, obviously they were a lot more down to earth at those time. Starfleet is military first and a science force second only if nothing else is to do.

Thats what I like about trek XI, starfleet feels once again like in the TOS times, unlike TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT who were all really only TNG.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

You know, looking at those designs... anyone else get the feeling there wasn't too much thought put into them? I don't mean it was a slapdash design, but some of them... :?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Ya, I got that feeling too....
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I did get a bit of "they just grabbed a few nacelles and a saucer" feeling.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okay, so not just me. I actually feel a little better at that. Yeah, I doubt they were thinking of emulating any TOS designs or anything like that.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What TOS designs? The Connies were it.