The Federation in years to come.......

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Federation in years to come.......

Post by Mark »

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, how will the destruction of Vulcan affect the Federation is years to come? Obviously with only 10,000 survivors out of a race of 6 billion, they are quite endangered. Will the Vulcan people die out? Obviously, the Starship Intrepid will never be crewed by all Vulcans, and likely Saavik, Valaris, and Tuvok will now never be born (unless the odd were EXTREMELY in there favor), and unless the got T'Pau off world, Surak's Katraa will be lost, as well as the skill of Fal Tor Pon, so Spock BETTER not die this time around.

The Federation will be shaken to it's core by the loss of one of the founding worlds. Will that effect it's unity? Will that make them more militarily minded?

And what about relations with the Romulans? How do you think that will play out?

(I foresee this being a rather interesting thread)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Federation in years to come.......

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Realistically, every Vulcan we ever saw after Ent will now never live. No Tuvok, Saavik, Valeris, etc. One or two might crop up, but the odds are massively against it.

Fal Tor Pan and such skills are presumably still alive in the Elders Spock rescued. He did say he had saved the essence of their civilisation in those people. One of them may even have been T'Pau for all we know, there was at least one woman saved after all.

The effect on the Federation economy and industrial base is probably not that significant to be honest. Dozens of full member planets at this point, close to a thousand colonies at least; one world more or less just isn't going to be a big factor in that.

But the Vulcans are big science heads. I'd bet they punch far above their numbers in terms of their contribution to Federation science and technology. The repercussions of that may resonate for centuries to come. Then again with older Spock present, he may choose to donate key technological advances and knowledge as needed to offset this.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

More importantly, he can arrange a nice little 24th century technology based anti-radiation suit for the engine room for the Big E versus Reliant fight at the end of TWOK. Khan's still about, right? Hang on, I'm getting confused now.... :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Are we actualy certain that there are only 10,000 Vulcans left in the entire UFP? I've always felt that that number seems incredibly low, given that Vulcans are apparently a common race throughout the UFP. Could Spock just have been reffering to the survivors that managed to escape from Vulcan itself?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Rochey wrote:Are we actualy certain that there are only 10,000 Vulcans left in the entire UFP? I've always felt that that number seems incredibly low, given that Vulcans are apparently a common race throughout the UFP. Could Spock just have been reffering to the survivors that managed to escape from Vulcan itself?
Yeah. Didn't Vulcan have their own colonies spread throughout their system and other places?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Vulcans had their own benevolent interstellar empire at one point, with numerous off-world colonies. I'm very dubious of the idea that there are just 6 billion of them in the entire universe, and all but 10,000 are living on Vulcan.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

regardless of just how many there are left we know that it's a small number....we have canon evidence that Vulcans are now an endangered species (as given in Spoks log following the distruction of Vulcan).

My guess is that the military factions of Starfleet will become a major part of this new universe. I forsee much stronger ships, already seen in the nE-nil. Also Planetary defence grids will be amped up quite a bit I think.

As for romulan relations....I don't think politicly they will be much different...still isolation by Romulans and passivity on the Federations side...The nEnterprise Bridge crew all know that the Narada was from the future and that it wasn't part of their times Romulan government.

However I see the Federation as gaining and maintaining a tech advantage over the Rommies from anything they can recover from the narada to study.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Does anybody know of any canonical reference to a Vulcan colony world? Even one of them?

We do know there are settlements here and there - P'Jem, Pan'Mokar. But they don't seem to have significant populations. The Enterprise era Vulcans don't seem to have been especially interested in such things, for sure.

If there's a large scale Vulcan colony world out there, I can't think of it offhand. Anybody?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

There's this analogy (obviously imperfect) that pops up in my mind, between the Vulcans and the Parsis (modern Zoroastrians). Both are remnants of a great fallen (or conquered) civilization, with a relatively tiny population, living in exile from their old homeland.

I think the new Vulcan colony will receive a ton of social and economic support from Earth and the other planets, and I think the Vulcans would consider it logical to repopulate the species by maintaining very high birthrates (although we don't know the details of their fertility or gestation). And we know from looking at Vulcan that they don't need a lush environment in order to thrive. I imagine they would probably be grandfathered in as a Federation member with a seat on the Council.

Oddly, the story of the Vulcans now mirrors that of the Romulans, with a group of exiles trying to build a new society on a new planet. Old Vulcan will now have one "passionate" daughter world and one "logical" daughter world.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Interesting point.

I wonder what type of world Spock chose. Earth type, or something Vulcanian in nature?

What I wouldn't like is to see a Vulcan clone world called New Vulcan or something, and treated exactly like the old one. Give them something a little different, and show that it will change their culture, their ways. Let's see some consequences!
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Let's see some consequences!
No more Selat I'm guessing.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Wow, is all this Vulcan stuff mainly from TOS, because I'm not familiar with most of what you guys listed. :?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

We have no canon evidence to suggest a large colony, but it would also be logical to assume that in a race full of explorers (clearly had a head start on Humans), there's quite a few of them offworld in various parts of the Federation. Lets just assume there's consolates on the various Federation worlds, colonists living on these worlds, with staff, plus others off world in various ships and your rogue Vulcans out of the Federation. While this won't make up a ton of people, I'd not shake my head if we heard Spock say "Captain, there are nearly a million Vulcans who need to be informed of the death of our mother planet" or something of the sort. Maybe it's a stretch, but certainly in the tens or hundreds of thousands is not absurd to believe.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

While you're right, Graham, that there's been no canon refference to a large Vulcan colony, it seems logical to assume the existance of one.
Just how long had the Vulcans been in space at that point? Centuries, or so? They were one of the most powerful races around by the time of ENT, and presumably for quite a while afterwards. I find it hard to believe that their entire interstellar nation had all of its population, save 10K, based on one planet.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Did we see any other ships fleeing Vulcan as it blew? I missed that part............two bladder buster pepsi's sent me off litterally "RUNNING" to the little Admiral's room.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.