The new Timeline

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The new Timeline

Post by Tyyr »

That raises an interesting concept. Is there specifically a "Command" track that some officers are on that will take them up to first officer and eventually captaincy and admiralty? Would people like Geordi and Scotty be condemned to be engine room bitches for the rest of their careers?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I believe there is infact a command fast track, but you can achive it by other means.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

yes I'm pretty sure there's a command fast track that focuses mainly on tactical stuff (which could be why Command colors are the same as tactical in TNG+), this would explain what the tactical/command cadets do while their engineering/medicle, and other specialties take their special classes.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Actually, in TOS the "Command" Track are the boys in gold.......like Sulu and Chekov. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Kirk used to be a Navigator in fact. I think ONLY gold shirts got commands. Hell, Scotty made Captain and never got his own command.

I can only assume by TNG things changed a bit. Only very junior and senior officers wear red.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that Pike mentioned Kirk could have his own captaincy in just a few years, it seems there is indeed a fast-track of sorts.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well, that confirms it then, the tac and command positons were the same colors in bothTNG and TOS, the one major exception being Warf as Chief Tactical Officer, however since he was also Chief of Security it's easy enough to explan away.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mark wrote:
Chekov was specifically referred to by the rank of Ensign. At no time was Kirk referred to by anything other than "Mr." until he became Captain.

Had some thoughts about GKs timeline. The Kelvin had a more TMP appearance than WOULD have been appropriate for the new timeline, and seemed to be even tougher than Reliant from TWOK. I mean, it went head to head with Nero's ship for a significant amount of time, after all. Only if we ignore what we saw of the Kelvin would GKs theory pan out.

Also, I had an idea about the new "recruitment" standards.

Pike SPECIFICALLY says, "Enlist in Starfleet" not "enroll in the Academy". Possibly not EVERYONE who shows up on that shuttle WILL go to the Academy to become officers, after being tested and found unsuited. They would then compose the enlisted ranks of Starfleet.
Pike had familiarity with Kirk which could explain why he was called mister.
Also your enlist theory is good except for one thing, while we do see crewmen occasionally in Trek its still almost entirely officers. Bridge crew or not its rare for us to see crewmen in any role except a casualty figure.

I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of the changes in this timeline. I don't think the new Enterprise is any larger. And my proof? Look at the kelvin see how the Romulan vessel dwarfs it. Now look at the Enterprise and see how the Romulan vessel dwarfs it? They're about the same size with the Enterprise being perhaps a hair bigger. If the Enterprise was 3000 feet long then it would have been closer to the same size of the Romulan vessel.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Monroe, the Narada is several kilometers long, six to eight. It's about a kilometer across. When we see the standoff, the Enterprise was as long as the Narada was wide. And several shots lead to the massive size of the new Enterprise, whether it be 725, 914, or 1,100 meters long.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Monroe, the Narada is several kilometers long, six to eight. It's about a kilometer across. When we see the standoff, the Enterprise was as long as the Narada was wide. And several shots lead to the massive size of the new Enterprise, whether it be 725, 914, or 1,100 meters long.
Oh didn't know the Narada was that big. That's huge for a Trek ship.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Narada was huge, it was a mining vessel after all.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, like comparing a modern day oil tanker to a modern day aircraft carrier. The civilian ship is massively larger.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

Rochey wrote:Aye, like comparing a modern day oil tanker to a modern day aircraft carrier. The civilian ship is massively larger.

Lets see Nimitz Class aircraft Carrier 100000 Displacement Tons the Knock Nevis is 647,955 tons that is a sight bit bigger
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Actually, it's like comparing a 1900's warship, with an oil tanker of today
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:Actually, it's like comparing a 1900's warship, with an oil tanker of today
Right.

Basically it'd be like the Texas vs the Knock Nevis refit with modern anti-ship missiles.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Basically it'd be like the Texas vs the Knock Nevis refit with modern anti-ship missiles.

What an awesome analogy!
Last edited by Lazar on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."