Seen it! SPOILERS IN HERE!!!!

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Seen it! SPOILERS IN HERE!!!!

Post by Tyyr »

Hmm. I recall a more rapid fire used during the EVA, but I always had the impression it was just quick semi-auto pulls, not genuine full auto.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

What's the difference between automatic phasers and traditional phasers that fire one constant pulse? Wouldn't an automatic phaser just be a phaser that doesn't shoot constantly, i.e. less? If so, why is that so much better?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Less drain on the power pack to just fire in pulses than a big continuous beam.
Tyyr wrote:Hmm. I recall a more rapid fire used during the EVA, but I always had the impression it was just quick semi-auto pulls, not genuine full auto.
*shrug* Perhaps so. I've not seen FC in a long time.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

A couple of reasons.

1) It looks cooler, yeah I'll say it.
2) When dealing with something like this you're typically better off discharging as much energy as you can in as short a time as you can. For instance the sparkers in the boilers I over see. If the sparkers can continuously they could create a spark with about 1,000 watts. Not enough to ignite the coal stream. However by dramatically shortening the pulse, going to a single quick burst as opposed to a long drawn out discharge the discharge power is in the 2 megawatt range. That kind of spark will ignite the coal. Applied to phasers, if you can discharge enough energy to kill someone in a quick burst (ala FC phaser rifles) you're better off doing that then drawing the energy out into a long stream. Higher power = more damage. For instance, touch a 50 or 60 watt light bulb. Hot but no permanent damage. Now go touch 500 or 1000W light, you leave skin behind. Drawing energy out over a longer time only makes it easier dissipate and resist. Shorter time = higher power = more damage for a given quantity of energy.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:The Borg don't use guns...
*ahem* TNG: Descent *cough*
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They weren't part of the Collective, though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Rochey wrote:They weren't part of the Collective, though.
Fine, the episode where 7's sphere crashed. She used some sort of particle weapon to stun the other drones.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Was she a part of the Collective at that point?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

She was part of the collective, they had just been temporarily disconnected(due to the crash).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And thus not part of the Collective at that point.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Huh, I can see that. Ok.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Rochey wrote:And thus not part of the Collective at that point.
no but they didn't aquire any new technology after their seperation, so it appears the gun was with her when she was part of the collective
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or something taken from an alien race for study.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I believe it was part of her arm.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

IIRC, there wasn't any sentiant (or sapient) life on the planet
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.