How Technobably Advanced?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 am

A) On Par with ENT level
No votes
B) Delta Quadrant Medium
44%
C) Alpha - Beta Quadrant Mediums
44%
D) Within a few hundred years more advanced than Federation.
6%
E) Voth level technology
No votes
F) Fantastically advanced technologies.
No votes
G) Q level.
6%
H) Modern Earth
No votes
I) Pre-atomic.
No votes

Total votes: 18
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

DITL Species 9- Technology Level

Post by Monroe »

Week One we decided it is a Fungal creature
Week Two we decided that it would live off decay and consumption
Week Three we decided it would use ganglion- brains spread throughout its body in clusters.
Week Four we decided it would use spores in an asexual form of reproduction.
Week Five we decided that the creature was 'type D' meaning long lived but had very few offspring.
Week Six we decided that the species would live in large hives.
Week Seven we decided that the species natural habitat would be a primordial tropical swamp... leaning towards swamp.
Week Eight we decided that the species would have dominant traits of an expansive and industrious nation. But the nation is also protective- but not overly so, and slightly Imperialistic in its foreign policy and operations.

Week Nine we discuss how advanced will they be?

A) On Par with ENT level- brand new space culture.
B) Delta Quadrant Medium - Most people in VOY seemed less advanced.
C) Alpha - Beta Quadrant Mediums - Klingons, Federation, Romulans etc
D) Within a few hundred years more advanced than Federation.
E) Voth level technology
F) Fantastically advanced technologies. They still use space ships and recognizable technologies but seem to have no end in their capabilities. For example their ships would have a noticable power source. Kind of like how the Vorlon in B5 were compared to the rest of the races.
G) Q level- While they are not noncorporeal they seem to be able to control the universe with a thought.
H) Modern Earth
I) Pre-atomic. Googa Booga to brilliant spring offensives on the first day of spring in broad daylight frontal attacks against machine gun nests.

And yes I realize H and I should be A and B but I thought of them after wards and typing this sentence to explain it to me is less work than re-alphabetizing all the other choices.

One vote, recasting allowed.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DITL Species 9- Technology Level

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd like to see them on par with the AQ. It would be nice to give our race a challange.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:I'd like to see them on par with the AQ. It would be nice to give our race a challange.
I decided Voth level to give every other race a challenge ;)
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Having them as an uber-advanced race would seriously limit their interactions with other races. I'd put them on a technological par with the UFP.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I voted ENT level.

I like the idea of a less advanced race that is none the less hugely prolific.

Not a huge military power but a massive industrial one.

Its something we havent seen, a species with a lot of space and population but not great tech. So they use there numbers to be a industrial power house, like China.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos has a fair idea but then I wouldn't use Ent tech but pre-TOS tech. Lasers and Nukes and WingCommander style Torpedos. I'd vote for that if the option was avalible.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I picked Delta quadrant sort of power, sort of like a massive industrial powerhouse but without the technology to back it up.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its not that they don't have the tech to back it up. Its just not as advanced as others may be.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I went with "B" - DQ average. Gives them a plenty of room for advancement as well as a reason to be interactive, but ENT-level didn't make sense to me for a culture who has "industrious" as a primary trait.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think the problem is that I don't picture an intelligent race building around TNG Trek tech. More like beefed up TOS style tech. TNG stuff that doesn't explode when you look at it.

I would like to see a more Conventional tech base option.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:I think the problem is that I don't picture an intelligent race building around TNG Trek tech. More like beefed up TOS style tech. TNG stuff that doesn't explode when you look at it.

I would like to see a more Conventional tech base option.
Well TOS wasn't an option for two reasons:

TOS is unrealistic and a POS as far as I am concerned. I never liked TOS.

DQ Medium is about the same thing. Close enough that it covers the range from just prior to TOS all the way up to just prior to TNG. Whereas AQ-BQ Medium covers just prior to TNG all the way up to VOY return. If you noticed each choice covers a wide time span. This is for expedience sake. We don't want too many options for example.

So Because DQ Medium covers the TOS era we don't need a TOS option. Using different styles of weapons i.e. the projectile weapons of Rochey's race would still fall under one of the broad categories we have. A AQ-BQ Medium race could use mass drivers and bullets but their tech level would still be AQ-BQ. We're doing this broad.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the problem is that I don't picture an intelligent race building around TNG Trek tech. More like beefed up TOS style tech. TNG stuff that doesn't explode when you look at it.
Having the same level of technological advancement as the UFP does not necessarily mean being as stupid in applying that tech as the UFP. We could have an AQ-par race without any of the problems of the Federation.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:
Having the same level of technological advancement as the UFP does not necessarily mean being as stupid in applying that tech as the UFP. We could have an AQ-par race without any of the problems of the Federation.
Not the same level. The same types of tech. Ship safety, Infantry weapons, c4 control panels, seat belts, armored windows on starships, keys and passwords that work. Stuff like that.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:
Rochey wrote:
Not the same level. The same types of tech. Ship safety, Infantry weapons, c4 control panels, seat belts, armored windows on starships, keys and passwords that work. Stuff like that.
That's a different topic. I didn't want to vote on say torpedo type when we're dealing with a race that might not even use torpedoes like a Q equivalent tech race.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Fair enough.