General reaction

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

General reaction

Post by Teaos »

Ok so I'm starting to see adds for the new movie on the radio and posters around.

So what do you guys feel the publics attitude towards the new movie is.

A few of my friends have mentioned it and one word that came up with each of them is "cheesy"

I'm suddenly doubting this movie will do very well. Probably abut the same as FC did maybe.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: General reaction

Post by stitch626 »

A lot of people I talked to thought it was cool, and then the "Star Trek" came up and it wasn't cool anymore.
Oh well.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:A lot of people I talked to thought it was cool, and then the "Star Trek" came up and it wasn't cool anymore.
Oh well.
Yea same here. (See my "new trailer" post)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Bummer.

Maybe Abrams is trying too hard?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah for a lot of non trekkers (and even some trekkers) TOS is generally considered cheesy.

Since this is a rehash of that in most peoples minds, along with the fact a few of the people I know think Nero looks like a retarded villan does not bode well for this movie.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Forgot to mention that some people just don't like sci-fi.

You simply can't appeal to everyone. :(

Oh, and what's wrong with Nero? :?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

My brother who was a TOS fan, but never saw any of the other Trek series, can't wait to see this. However he hates time travel stories. I haven't told him about ST:IX plot yet. My buddy who thinks this looks cool but is a massive Star Wars fan, will wait for the DVD. My little brother barely notices it. Another friend says he will see it, but he always says that about movies with big explosions. Girl I know doesn't care for Science Fiction, but thinks guy playing Kirk is cute. She likes Twilight by the way.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Nutso wrote:Girl I know doesn't care for Science Fiction, but thinks guy playing Kirk is cute. She likes Twilight by the way.
lol, typical. :lol: :roll:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

All of my friends, Trek fans or not, have said this looks awesome.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

lol, typical.
Think that's bad? I know a girl who's going purely because Eric Banna is in it. :roll:

As for ST:XI, I predict it will do badly, regardless of how good it is. Trek has long been relegated in public opinion to the status of a show for nerds that would be embarrasing to be seen watching. There's already an existing preconception about it, and many people will avoid it simply because it happens to be Trek.

Why do you think ENT failed so badly? They attempted to bring the show in a new direction to grab more fans, but the problem was that the people they were aiming to hook never bothered with the show because of their preconceptions, and old fans got fed up with the new direction.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

LaughingCheese wrote: Oh, and what's wrong with Nero? :?
Even I think he looks a bit retarded. Like they are trying to hard to make him look evil.

The character should speak for its self.

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Secrecy coup of the decade

So far so good. I gotta say, I admire how Paramount pulled this off. Kudos to them.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Now I wish I lived in Austin.

Wait, now there are going to be3 spoilers all over the web... more than already are. :|
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Like Tsukiyami's, all of my friends who saw the trailer thought it looked cool, and most of my friends (who're not Trekkies, I'm the only trek geek around) said they'd want to see it.

So I do think that the movie will do well, at least in North America, and that it will reach even the non-Trek fans.
Their are a lot of Sci-Fi geeks not into Trek, and I'm sure that this movie will hook them in...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Everybody I know, (non-trekies) are planning on seeing this movie as soon as it comes out. There seems to be alot of positive reaction to it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.