Sixty eight years ago, today...

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:The very basics are the same but we have gotten past the "Walk slowly towards the enemy guns" strategy that killed a couple of million people.
True, but the methods I mentioned were the solutions developed in 1917/18 once they'd figured out that the "walk slowly towards the enemy" tactic wasn't working.
Yeah, what the captain said. It was more that we wanted a way to bypass trench warfare and the brutal reality of charging into machine gun fire. I don't know about across the pond, but here in the States we pretty much teach WWI as the first truly modern war (as well as the war with the most ridiculously ineffective technologies that led to major legitimate developments)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well here we teach it as the major turning point in world politics. WWII brough in a lot of tech but WWI changed world politics in a way that hasnt been seen in hundreds of years.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Over here we barely teach it at all. Which is something I'm not very pleased about, we mostly just do a (very) brief summary of WW I and go straight on to II.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Well, in Britain, we usually learn quite a bit about trench warfare generally, but very little about the last couple of years of the war, when tactics started to improve. As for WW2, there's usually a fair bit about the buildup to the war in the 30s, but sod-all about the war itself.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah, the general idea in our Western European History curriculum at my school is to spend about 2 weeks on World War I, and how it essentially is a turning point into modern political problems, and its influence on WWII. Which makes sense historically. In our US course, it largely gets skipped over, other than the result of making the US a significant world power.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'd be interested to know how Germany teach their history.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:I'd be interested to know how Germany teach their history.
Very delicately =)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

My grandfathers on both sides of my family-mother's and father's-were ww II veterans. *Says a prayer for their souls*

Let us never forger, so say we all.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd be interested to know how Germany teach their history.
From what little I know I gather that they do teach the history of WW2, but place higher emphasis on 'he was EVIL' than we do.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think you have to get into upper history level classes to learn about WWI. I took a modern european class and we did about a month pre-WWI with the Morocco Crissis x2 and the problems of Russia then dived into WWI where we spent the bulk of the semester. I think we actualy spent more on WWI than II but then again WWII is taught in the US History 1865 onwards class, Modern World History, and some other classes. They probably figured that since they didn't cover WWI then they should cover it in Modern European.