SW: Obi-Wan's Outfit

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

SW: Obi-Wan's Outfit

Post by Aaron »

This came to me while I was on the shitter. In the OT there was never any indication that Ben's outfit was anything more than that of a loony desert hermit. Thanks to the PT we now know that it is the Jedi "uniform", so WTF where the Stormies that stopped them in Mos Eisley thinking? These guys are supposed to be from Vader's own Legion, the same one that helped him gun down the occupants in the Jedi Temple. So the institutional knowledge of the Jedi should still be with the unit, why didn't they notice that "hey this dirty old man is wearing a Jedi outfit"?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SW: Obi-Wan's Outfit

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Were they supposed to be that old? I mean, 20 years is a long time; maybe they just didn't notice.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Were they supposed to be that old? I mean, 20 years is a long time; maybe they just didn't notice.
Note that I said "institutional knowledge", I don't expect the troops in the unit to be same ones that purged the temple but I do expect the troops in the unit to be familiar with it and to have reviewed holotapes (or whatever) of the incidence.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, that does make sense. Although, some of the OT stormtroopers struck me as a bit dense. :lol:

"These aren't the droids you're looking for... And, in case you're wondering, yes, this is a Jedi outfit; I got it surplus down at Mos Espa."
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

For that matter, keeping the name Kenobi wasn't the best of disguises.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:For that matter, keeping the name Kenobi wasn't the best of disguises.
Right. :lol:

"I'm not the Kenobi you're looking for. He's my cousin."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

There's no garentee that the outfit wasn't common after the fall, especially in the outer rim where thieves could sell the uniforms they stole from the temple after the troops left.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Well that sounds a bit improbable, with one building's worth of stolen used outfits on Coruscant making their way all the way to the Galactic Rim. :P But maybe it's a style of clothing that wasn't used exclusively by the Jedi.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

why? I doubt anyone in the empire would want to buy a Jedi outfit, the outer rim plantets wouldn't exactly know what they were, or wouldn't care.

Aren't there more Jedi Tempels around the galaxy, maybe not as big or eleborate as the main temple on Couracent, but still, seems like there should be a lot more.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

True, I guess it might depend on how many Jedi there were and how they and their facilities were spread out.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'd guess that their's some kind of temple/building on every world in the republic, that way they can get easier access to the main temple, and or Jedi Recorces no matter what planet their on, and it would help to have a temple/building to take the newborns to to test them to be Jedi.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe some of the surviving Jedi started selling replicas on outer rim worlds to throw off the search. :lol:
Schrodinger's Hat
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Schrodinger's Hat »

Actually, robes like that don't seem to be too uncommon on Tattooine. Owen Lars had a nifty robe and belted tunic of his own, and so did Beru at one point in the prequels. Yoda hid from the Empire by taking off for Dagobah... and apparently, Obi-Wan did so by finding the one planet in the galaxy where everyone dresses like Jedi.
Warning: Erwin Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Makes sense. In a galaxy where every single storm trooper has standing orders to kill Jedi on sight, I don't think their second hand outfits would be that popular.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, I think I remember reading something that said that the Jedi dressed that way because it was a common atire for those from less wealthy planets, thus emphasising their desire to help people and their subservience to society.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"