Cardassian Design Elements

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer

Cardassian Design Elements

Post by Abraxas »

Something about Cardassian Ships has always caught my intrest and I'd like to either expand their fleet or maybe work on schematics for the ships we've already seen. As a new member to DITL, I'm not privvy to the discussions about this in the past and I'm wondering what things people have collectively established, cause I'd like to intigrate some of the more popular ideas into the work.

So, for starters, I was wondering what people have said about Cardassian warp travel. Cardassian ships tend to break away from the established "2 pylon" rule, so the placement of their systems can be a little more... improvised. I personally always imagined the "spine" out the back as a single, large warp nacelle that takes up most of the structure's space. Think of it as "shaft alley" for anyone that's been on a ship, and if you haven't, imagine this...

... but bigger.

Impulse engines would be on the "fins" of the larger half saucer while the bridge would be the smaller one (or maybe that would be a conning tower). Crew quarters and other ammenaties would be in the "belly" and weapons would be stuck in any empty spaces (with appropriate space left for the BFG on the front). Sensors and other pieces of equipment would be placed appropriately.

That's for the Galor and the Keldon.

The Freighter and Hideki might be easier to start with cause they're smaller, so I'll probably begin their... but I was wondering what rules and "understandings" the community has maybe come to. I know I can do what I want, but I'd rather have this discussion before I (eventually) start, just to see what others say. Afterall, just cause I listen to your input doesn't mean I'll impliment it :wink: ...
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Cardassian Design Elements

Post by Tiberius »

Have a read of the book, "The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine." There's a whole section in there about the design aesthetic the producers of the show came up with when designing all the Cardassian stuff we saw on the show. plus a whole bunch of design sketches. You'll find it a very useful resource.

Anyway, I think the design idea for the Galor was that the two blades we the warp nacelles, and the impulse engines were at the back.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep - because of the incredible similarities in tech between different species, I always imagined that Cardie warp tech still had to follow the "spaced dual nacelle" rule, and that the blades embodied warp nacelles (or at least coils.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I had seen a schematic somewhere were the warps were in the plains. Most of them feature a frontal weapons array, normally greater power than the rest. Keep that in mind, most cardassian ships favour a heavy hitting gun accompanied by lighter ones on the plains. Torpedoes are sidelined for Phasers. They should be stable, medium speed but safe and dependable.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

So are the warp coils for the Cardassian ships more like warp plains?
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Something to that effect. It may just be that they have different way of setting out their warp coils.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

For some reason, Cardassian tech reminds me of Soviet gear. Tough, durable, but somewhat uninspired (I have the AK-47 in mind as I write this).
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think the Cardis did a pretty good job of making use of what they have. They don't have a lot, but they'll get a lot out of it. If the UFP was even half as smart then the Dominion War would have been over in months.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:For some reason, Cardassian tech reminds me of Soviet gear. Tough, durable, but somewhat uninspired (I have the AK-47 in mind as I write this).
So did the writers - Kira's comparison of the Fed and Cardie phaser rifles in "Return to Grace" was pretty transparently based on comparisons of the AK and M16.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I think that Cardassian ship design is based alot on reptile anatomy/physiology as well.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I think that Cardassian ship design is based alot on reptile anatomy/physiology as well.
Funny.........I always saw "flying scorpions" in Cardie ships for some reason.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I dunno what i see. Tbh. I think possibly either of them could be there.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

ok, the ships are reptile-like.

I'd classify scorpions as reptile like as well.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Uhhh.........how would you figure that?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

idk, out of any non-reptile, a scorpion just seems to me to be one of the animals that could pass for one at first sight.