The potential for refits

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The potential for refits

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:A New Orleans could probably function pretty well as a system defence ship. Deploy them in small packs of three or four in a system, and they should be able to police it pretty well.
Teaos wrote:Wolf packs?

But then the question is. Is it a better use of resources to make 3-4 New Orleans class ships or one larger ship, could probably build an Akira for that amount.
Rochey wrote:When acting as a system defence unit, several small, fast ships would be better than one large ship. The smaller ships can be in more places at once, respond quicker to distress signals, and are better able to run down criminals. Unless there's a war on or the system borders another power, there'd be no real need for full, dedicated warships. Wolfpacks would work just as well.
Here's a question though. Is the New Orleans really the best class currently availble for production? Using the ones we have built already is one matter. Spending resources on producing more is another.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

What other small, relatively inexpensive ships are there for picket/coast guard duties? Intrepids are presumable more resource-intensive, and are built with a high top end which makes them more useful for outrider and scout duties.

Agreed about the Steamrunner, though - it's small enough that huge refits are probably not feasible, and enough would need to be done to bring it up to the SOTA that a newer ship would serve better.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Which is why I mentioned that such things were the probable designed role of the New Orleans. The contention that because both the New Orleans and Akira have torpedo tubes means that they're designed for the same role is outlandish.
Now you're just being a dumbass... When did I ever say that having a PTL made a ship a Torp Boat? Lets go with never... PT boats carry torpedos. So does most every other ship in the fleet. Every ship in SF carries PTs or QTs. Does that make every ship a torpedo boat. No should be a DUH moment for you. Role is based off of what they carry with them. When you have 3 PTLs for every phaser, what do you think the main purpose behind its design is? Maybe deliver a shit load of PTs... so simple.
It's not just a question of the Akira being a more modern version; PT boats carried torpedos, but would you call them older versions of the SeaWolf? The differnece in the output of the tubes alone is enough to see that they're not made for the same role.
You can't tell a difference between a Sub (& mission) and a PT boat (& mission) then you're just... well n/m.

Next part was that the output was more so the roles can't be the same... What is the role of a PTL in trek? Has that role changed lately? Between TNG and DS9 that is. A lot of huge changes I guess I missed. I remember them being used to launch PTs but thats just me.

As time goes by we make weapons with greater rates of fire. That doesn't change the weapon's purpose. Just it's ability to perform its intended purpose.

Also, what do we know about the rate of fire for the New Orleans class? PTLs that large shouldn't suffer from poor ROF.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:What other small, relatively inexpensive ships are there for picket/coast guard duties? Intrepids are presumable more resource-intensive, and are built with a high top end which makes them more useful for outrider and scout duties.
Like I said about a dozen times running now. Defiants are perfect for the role. Small, cheap and very very powerful for their size. I'm so glad people seem unable to read what's been posted.
Agreed about the Steamrunner, though - it's small enough that huge refits are probably not feasible, and enough would need to be done to bring it up to the SOTA that a newer ship would serve better.
The Steamrunner was just an excuse for an extra ship. No real purpose in the fleet.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Defiant...cheap
Evidence for this? The Defiant's certainly small, but so's the F-22.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

So, Deep: you're saying that every ship carries PT launchers but that it doesn't make every ship a torp boat; but then, you go on to say that the very purpose of having torps is to put up torp spam. Hmmm... and I'm the dumbass... right...
Deepcrush wrote:When did I ever say that having a PTL made a ship a Torp Boat?
You did say, didn't you, that the New Orleans was an earlier design for the same role as the Akira? Now, what other basis is there for that assumption other than the fact that the New Orleans has three whole torp tubes? (BTW, Fact Files has lower reg numbers for Akira-class ships than the Encyclopedia has for New Orleans-classes...)
Deepcrush wrote:You can't tell a difference between a Sub (& mission) and a PT boat (& mission) then you're just... well n/m.
I can tell... it was your logic that would equate them. It's actually as easy to tell them apart as it should be between the Akira (big, lots of high ROF tubes) and the New Orleans (little, a few tubes of undefined ROF.)
Deepcrush wrote:Next part was that the output was more so the roles can't be the same... What is the role of a PTL in trek? Has that role changed lately? Between TNG and DS9 that is. A lot of huge changes I guess I missed. I remember them being used to launch PTs but thats just me.
C'mon, now who's quoting out of context? I said that the huge difference in number of tubes, magazine capacity, and possibly in ROF should be considerations in evaluating the ship's role, not the role of a torp launcher.
Deepcrush wrote:Like I said about a dozen times running now. Defiants are perfect for the role. Small, cheap and very very powerful for their size. I'm so glad people seem unable to read what's been posted.
We can read it - there's just no reason to believe it. There's more circumstantial evidence for the Defiant being expensive than the nonexistent evidence for it being cheap.

Now here's the question again: how do you equate the role of a little ship with a few tubes (New Orleans) with that of a massive ship with shitloads of tubes (Akira?)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

By all indications, Defiants are probably horrendously expensive to build. If they were cheap, they'd have been pumping them out like crazy during the Dominion War. All evidence and the basic facts about the ship would point to the conclusion that they were considered far too expensive to justify continuing their line.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Defiant...cheap
Evidence for this? The Defiant's certainly small, but so's the F-22.
F-22 is a fighter and by no means small to standard.

Defiant vs Akira... which would be cheaper... take a wild guess.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Defiant vs Akira... which would be cheaper... take a wild guess.
Unknown. If you want to claim that the Defiant is cheaper then prove it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:By all indications, Defiants are probably horrendously expensive to build. If they were cheap, they'd have been pumping them out like crazy during the Dominion War. All evidence and the basic facts about the ship would point to the conclusion that they were considered far too expensive to justify continuing their line.
What indications are you talking about? We know that SF continued to build them throughout the war. AKA, Defiant-A and the two we saw in Message in a Bottle. The ship is a phaser platform with a pair of TLs. Added that SF doesn't care for money cost but material cost. Again, what are these indications?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Defiant vs Akira... which would be cheaper... take a wild guess.
Unknown. If you want to claim that the Defiant is cheaper then prove it.
Fair enough...

The Akira class is built from just over 3 million tons of material added with 15 TLs and 3 large phaser arrays and a crew of 500.

The Defiant class is built from 355,000 tons of material added with 3 TLs and 4 phasers and a crew of 50.

When value is based off off material and not money. The Defiant is the cheaper of the two.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Defiant-A and the two we saw in Message in a Bottle.
And the Valiant. That's five. We've seen more GCSes in a single shot several times over.
Added that SF doesn't care for money cost but material cost. Again, what are these indications?
The Defiant has a greater power to mass ratio than any other Starfleet ship. On its first mission it ripped apart ships that even a GCS couldn't hurt. Now, prove your assertion that the Defiant is cheap. "It's obvious", or similar, is not an acceptable response.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Akira...3 million tons of material... a crew of 500.
Prove it.
Defiant...355,000 tons of material
Prove it.
When value is based off off material and not money. The Defiant is the cheaper of the two.
Prove it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So, Deep: you're saying that every ship carries PT launchers but that it doesn't make every ship a torp boat; but then, you go on to say that the very purpose of having torps is to put up torp spam. Hmmm... and I'm the dumbass... right...
First let me say fuck you for misquoting what I said. Or just plain out lying about what I said. Either way doesn't matter to me.
You did say, didn't you, that the New Orleans was an earlier design for the same role as the Akira? Now, what other basis is there for that assumption other than the fact that the New Orleans has three whole torp tubes? (BTW, Fact Files has lower reg numbers for Akira-class ships than the Encyclopedia has for New Orleans-classes...)
The New Orleans class was seen 8 years before the Akira class. That should be easy, even for a mod. :roll:

Other basis for the retards that seem to be popping up around here. You have two ships, one that is 8 years older with a primary armament of PTLs. Now 8 years later you have a newer ship with a primary armament PTLs. The difference between the two is size and ability.
I can tell... it was your logic that would equate them. It's actually as easy to tell them apart as it should be between the Akira (big, lots of high ROF tubes) and the New Orleans (little, a few tubes of undefined ROF.)
God you've gotten pathetic. You've been around seafort for to fucking long. When did I say that a fucking PT boat and a SSN were anywhere near the same? Answer... never. If a ship built around PTLs is meant for a different role then another ship built around PTLs. Then tell me what the difference is. You still haven't managed even that much.
C'mon, now who's quoting out of context? I said that the huge difference in number of tubes, magazine capacity, and possibly in ROF should be considerations in evaluating the ship's role, not the role of a torp launcher.
Context, I haven't met a person here who can even read let alone get the idea of context. What is the advantage of PTs over phasers in trek...? Think range... then take ships that are built mostly around PTLs instead of phasers. That gives you a ship meant in mind to fight at long range. Same fucking point as I started with that you just can't seem to wrap your head around.
We can read it - there's just no reason to believe it. There's more circumstantial evidence for the Defiant being expensive than the nonexistent evidence for it being cheap.
A.) if you could read worth a shit I wouldn't have to repeat myself so much.
B.) cheap or expensive is based on materials not money. Which ship is made up of more material with more complex parts? Thats the more expensive one. We had a debate like this when I first joined this site and I think you were even the one pointing this out.
Now here's the question again: how do you equate the role of a little ship with a few tubes (New Orleans) with that of a massive ship with shitloads of tubes (Akira?)
Asked and answered... not that it reallys matters with the pieces of shit around here lately...

New Orleans class.
a.) built in a time of peace where SF didn't want to look like it was going to threaten anyone.
b.) built in a time when SF was more looking to explore vs fight.

Akira class.
a.) built with the mind of fighting a war.
b.) built with the idea of a possible uber enemy coming.
c.) most likely part of program to replace the old ass cruisers that SF had been stuck with.

Of a side note. The New Orleans class looks to have 5 PTLs instead of just 3. The pics on DITL show the model to have the same base build fore and aft as the GCS which includes the location of the fore and aft PTLs. That gives the New Orleans a fair bit more punch then I had thought to begin with. However, while that still leaves it under powered next to the Akira as a whole. That means Rochey's idea of the wolf packs of NO's roaming around works pretty well. Since the other then the Akira's phasers. Pound for pound the Akira is not much better then the New Orleans class. The Akira just has a lot more pounds behind it.

Now that I'm all ramped up over this subject... I need a break from it. See you tomorrow or something.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Akira...3 million tons of material... a crew of 500.
Prove it.
Defiant...355,000 tons of material
Prove it.
Prove it.
A.) DITL has it green listed as a source. Unless you have something to say otherwise.
B.) DITL has it green listed as a source. Unless you have something to say otherwise.
C.) If the UFP doesn't use money then what do they count for value? Don't think to hard, burst that last brain cell and you'll be totally worthless rather then just mostly worthless.

Now I'll take that break.