The Original Series
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Excelsior Class Discussion

Post by Foxfyre »

This one is for Deepcrush

Ok lets dissuss the merits of the Excelisor Class

Overall a fairly decent ship. I like the lines of this class very sleek and elegent with a decent sense of power. The only issue I have with this class is fairly cosmetic, the nacells to me seem a bit narrow but overall it seems to work for the class. The upgraded verison of this class (AKA E-B) keeps the same power and elegence (my spelling sucks) but has one major drawback in my opinion. The extra impulse drives are directly in front of the nacells, not sure how this could work well for the class. One of my favorites however rates number 4 on my list.

Ok theres my take
Genius insania et conseri manum
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Excelsior Class Discussion

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I like Excelsiors quite a lot. I would've vastly preferred a show set on the E-B over Enterprise.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Agreed, when I first heard the name of the new series I thought that was what they were going to do
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

EXCELSIOR!!!

Lets face it, form and function at their best! Both beautiful and deadly without a warp core that explodes when someone breaths. The greatest class in SF history. The strongest service history on record. Though the Miranda has been around a bit longer. It fails to match the ability of the Excelsior for survival and refit. Where the Miranda is now cannon fodder. We have the Excelsior which can be upgraded to equal the Defiant, SF's first true warship. If the Connie was the Battle Cruiser of the day then the Excelsior was the Battleship. How many battleships are in service 80 years later and still able as a Ship of the Line.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Deepcrush wrote:EXCELSIOR!!!

Lets face it, form and function at their best! Both beautiful and deadly without a warp core that explodes when someone breaths. The greatest class in SF history. The strongest service history on record. Though the Miranda has been around a bit longer. It fails to match the ability of the Excelsior for survival and refit. Where the Miranda is now cannon fodder. We have the Excelsior which can be upgraded to equal the Defiant, SF's first true warship. If the Connie was the Battle Cruiser of the day then the Excelsior was the Battleship. How many battleships are in service 80 years later and still able as a Ship of the Line.
And Deepcrush is happy

I allways thought of the Excelisor as a battlecruiser, since the connie was stated on screen to be a heavy cruiser
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Didn't the klingons of STIII call the Refit Connie a Battle Cruiser? If so that would leave the Excelsior in the next slot up which is as a Battleship.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I think the Kingons wre making a general comment to be honest, E-nil was stated on screen via a federation comupter to be a Heavy Cruiser.

BTW: 100th post so I guess I get a pip now
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

A very nice looking ship. I far prefer it to the Conny, it really looks like a spaceship.

Also apparently very robust as Deep pointed out.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

An excellent ship. A solid and long-lasting design, that still manages to pack a punch in battle against modern ships, despite being more than a century old. Nice and sleek, with some pleasant aesthetics, but it doesn't sacrafice functionality and practicality for its looks.

All in all, a great ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Didn't the klingons of STIII call the Refit Connie a Battle Cruiser? If so that would leave the Excelsior in the next slot up which is as a Battleship.
Or they were both battleships - the Excelsior was simply newer and bigger, just as the likes of the Santissima Trinidad, Valmy and Duke of Wellington were newer and larger than Victory.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As to the designations - I think it's far more difficult to classify a starship than a modern RL wet navy ship. We can't call it by role, since SF uses battleships to explore astronomical phenomena and science ships to check out possibly hostile new life. Further, SF has a policy of trying to keep up an air of pacifism and communistic gregariousness - they call there battlecruisers "explorers." We can't call it by tonnage, since the GCS was somewhat bigger than the Sovereign and far bigger than the Defiant, yet both of the latter were clearly more suited for combat. The gist is: canonically, the Connie was a "heavy cruiser" as that's how the fielding organization labelled it. It still wouldn't be incorrect for the Klingons or other power to call it a battlecruiser, battleship, or explorer, depending upon how it was fielded at the particular time.

Regarding the Excelsior - yes, Seafort, we know that the best engineer in all of Starfleet was able to sabotage it, and that transwarp failed. However, the ship looks great; and more importantly, the basic design was so good that they were still in regular use in TNG, and considered viable workhorses by DS9. In fact, the spaceframe was so solid that it was the one chosen for the experimental Lakota upfit. That service length, adaptability, and high regard indicate a very well put-together ship. It's the 'Trek equivalent of the B-52.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

USS Aeon wrote:I think the Kingons wre making a general comment to be honest, E-nil was stated on screen via a federation comupter to be a Heavy Cruiser.

BTW: 100th post so I guess I get a pip now

True enough. Congrads on the pip!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Didn't the klingons of STIII call the Refit Connie a Battle Cruiser? If so that would leave the Excelsior in the next slot up which is as a Battleship.
Or they were both battleships - the Excelsior was simply newer and bigger, just as the likes of the Santissima Trinidad, Valmy and Duke of Wellington were newer and larger than Victory.
That it could be but the Connie's were never called as battleships. Just as Heavy Cruisers or Battle Cruisers. Since we have a picked title for them we can't really call the Connies as Battleships. Though during TOS they may well have been more fitted to that roll. I don't recall any ships in TOS being titled as battleships from any faction. They were always called cruisers of some sort.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

In Star Trek IV, I completely, utterly, and totally expected to have Kirk and co. take command of Excelsior. They COULD have renamed her and commissioned her as the NCC 1701 A...........but stuck with what worked, I guess.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I never got that vibe. I always felt like it would be a Connie or nothing for Jim & Co.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer