TR-116 vs Phasers

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: TR-116 vs Phasers

Post by Captain Seafort »

Those weren't assault rifles - they were FN P90s. Basically a cross between a submachinegun and an assault rifle.

And that scene was great :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

i'd say bot the TR-116 and the type III phasers we have seen so far are both crappy (we know that).

though they do their job to a certain extent, they are very bulky, making them rather difficult to hide.
We have no indication of how light they may be, but I suppose they can be made lighter if we take a look at how effective SF design policy is.

Both weapons need things like a decent scope in case targeting systems fail, a bayonet and probably numerous other features.

most phasers seem to work like a tool rather than as a weapon, especially the type IIs and type I's. Although it comes in handy on starships, infantry (which is little more than security officers so it seems) needs more specialized types of phasers, with the entire design fpcused on that one function.

Conclusion; Although I know next to nothing of modern day guns, and just as little about the phaser stuff, I can see room for improvement on both sides. However, if I had to choose between the 2 of them, I'd prefer the TR-116.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Of the lot, the assault rifle types from the TNG films are probably the best - it's the only phaser with a stock, it's smaller and lighter than the TR-116, and it's got a proper sight.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, the one from FC is actualy quite good in terms of design. I'd take it over any other Trek weapon any day.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Of the lot, the assault rifle types from the TNG films are probably the best - it's the only phaser with a stock, it's smaller and lighter than the TR-116, and it's got a proper sight.
Agreed - not to mention the ability to fire pulses rather than just beams. On the flip side, I'd call the forked-tongue VOY rifles the worst - they look like they are the most unwieldy things in battle since mankind first developed the eye axe.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Agreed - not to mention the ability to fire pulses rather than just beams. On the flip side, I'd call the forked-tongue VOY rifles the worst - they look like they are the most unwieldy things in battle since mankind first developed the eye axe.
However, you could use the forks as a crappy bayonet. :roll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Or, for a really big fondue.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Having just watched a Mythbusters on this subject today... I find it kinda hard to believe that Carter could cut a tree stump in half like that with a P90. The Mythbusters guys tried it with a SAW and failed, though they did do it relatively easily with a minigun.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Having just watched a Mythbusters on this subject today... I find it kinda hard to believe that Carter could cut a tree stump in half like that with a P90. The Mythbusters guys tried it with a SAW and failed, though they did do it relatively easily with a minigun.
Yeah, that was pretty much BS. The round in the P90 wouldn't be able to do that unless that target was hollow and she expended all her mags, even then I don't it's think very likely. With the Mythbusters and the minigun if IIRC it was the 7.62 NATO one, so a little more oomph. And of course 3000 rounds doesn't hurt either.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, I was saying they should try the M2 and see how .50 cal rounds did.

I believe the origin of the story was that Maxim used to demonstrate his machine gun by chopping down trees with it. Not the most powerful of rounds, but those water cooled guns could fire for a long time. I read once that they fired one almost continually for a week.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Yeah, I was saying they should try the M2 and see how .50 cal rounds did.

I believe the origin of the story was that Maxim used to demonstrate his machine gun by chopping down trees with it. Not the most powerful of rounds, but those water cooled guns could fire for a long time. I read once that they fired one almost continually for a week.
I suspect that is a bit of an exaggeration, you will eventually boil off all the water in the cooling jacket and its little reservoir and melt the barrel. .50 cal would be nice to see in that context though, can't go wrong with a weapon that can remove limbs.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They may have hooked up an external water supply for the test; i think the idea was to see how long the other components took to wear out over extensive use rather than to see how long the cooling system held out.

But it's probably an exaggeration anyway, it does have a ring of "too cool to be true" about it.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:They may have hooked up an external water supply for the test; i think the idea was to see how long the other components took to wear out over extensive use rather than to see how long the cooling system held out.

But it's probably an exaggeration anyway, it does have a ring of "too cool to be true" about it.
Probably, I do know that they used to piss in the guns during heavy fighting in WWI though. That says something about how hot they get.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Did Carter cut through the tree? IIRC, she hit the tree itself with a load of rounds, and then cut the rope holding it up with another round.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Did Carter cut through the tree? IIRC, she hit the tree itself with a load of rounds, and then cut the rope holding it up with another round.
She cuts it in half, you can see the bottom half fall off after she fires on auto.