The Coalition and Orbital Grids

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Coalition and Orbital Grids

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I like to think I have a very original and creative approach to spelling and grammar. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

I love the idea of orbital rings, but I'm not so sure I see how they're "safer" than living underwater, as a vaccum has plenty of its own dangers anyway...and surely given coalition technology, if they can create a stable envoirnment in space, then why not under water? Oh well. A cool design anyway, but here's a question:

In terms of planetary defenses, what kind of firepower would these rings usually have? Or would it be just down to millitary installations or something?
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

MetalHead wrote:I love the idea of orbital rings, but I'm not so sure I see how they're "safer" than living underwater, as a vaccum has plenty of its own dangers anyway...and surely given coalition technology, if they can create a stable envoirnment in space, then why not under water?
Build in space : withstand 15 pounds per square inch.

Build 1,000 feet underwater : withstand 450 pounds per square inch.

Build 30,000 feet underwater : withstand 13,020 pounds per square inch.
Oh well. A cool design anyway, but here's a question:

In terms of planetary defenses, what kind of firepower would these rings usually have? Or would it be just down to millitary installations or something?
The rings themselves have no weapons, but are enclosed within the planetary forcefield system. I mentioned before that many of the asteroids were moved to Earth over the years. Ceres had a chunk of the interior hollowed out during this process. Later on it was converted into a combination orbital battle station and fleet base which provides much of Earth's defences, along with a network of artificial orbital defence stations.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

May be swaying off topic but are the planetary shields powerful enough to enclose all the rings and moon(s)? That'd be some wicked power consumption.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Monroe wrote:May be swaying off topic but are the planetary shields powerful enough to enclose all the rings and moon(s)? That'd be some wicked power consumption.
Rings, yes. Moons, no. Ceres has its own shields as a fleet base. The moon (Luna) doesn't, since there's not a lot there to protect.

In general, the Coalition doesn't spend a great deal of resources on fixed defences. They prefer to spend the resources on a fleet which can take any battle to the enemy and fight them beyond the Coalition's borders. Earth is heavily defended, but only because as the home port for a fleet it's a likely target. Most Coalition systems have coast-guard like forces to act as "space police", deter piracy and such, but most of them have no, or only token, military-level defence systems.

As for energy, it's not something the Coalition is short of; standard heavy duty power systems are combination total matter converters boosted by zero point energy systems, meaning ships can generate energy far and away beyond the mc^2 limit.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

cool beans. That'd be kind of a scary universe to live in. Being proud in one's navy when in reality a couple of Zaketh warships could decimate them all :P
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Monroe wrote:cool beans. That'd be kind of a scary universe to live in. Being proud in one's navy when in reality a couple of Zaketh warships could decimate them all :P
Heh, well remember most countries live that way right now. Impressive as the UK military might be in some ways, America could still nuke the country into oblivion within about 90 minutes or so and there's not a damn thing we could do about it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We couldn't do that. As of right now, there's only one person from the West with any common sense working in the Middle East, and he's one of yours.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mikey wrote:We couldn't do that. As of right now, there's only one person from the West with any common sense working in the Middle East, and he's one of yours.
I hope to g-d you don't mean Tony Blair.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I guess you're not a fan.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, he's better than the loser the Brits have now.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Actually, Half of the problems in this place were Due to Blair's influence. Now Brown is getting the bad press because he has to deal with it.

Then again, I dont like either. David Cameron and the Conservatives for the win!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Well, he's better than the loser the Brits have now.
You could have said much the same about the States had Bush kicked the bucket mid-term.
GrahamKennedy wrote:America could still nuke the country into oblivion within about 90 minutes or so and there's not a damn thing we could do about it.
Sure there is - we could nuke 'em back. Not that it would help much.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Sure there is - we could nuke 'em back. Not that it would help much.
Exactly; wouldn't stop them doing us. And the US would probably survive an all out British nuclear attack, albeit in very damaged form, whilst one can hardly say the reverse.

It's an interesting question, just how much damage might the Coalition be able to do to the Zaketh in return if it came down to it. Little or nothing to their fleet, to be sure, but if Battleships armed with PBCs tried to sneak up on Zaketh planets and blast them... they just might be able to take some down. The Zaketh would be pissed.