got a pip

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

got a pip

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Just got promoted to ensign, can I now please take my station at the helm of a starship? :mrgreen:
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: got a pip

Post by Foxfyre »

Congrats, does this meen I have to give you a proper salute now?
Genius insania et conseri manum
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

USS Aeon wrote:Congrats, does this meen I have to give you a proper salute now?

LOL. Better watch it or we will be paying tribute or offering sacrifices to the admirals.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

LOL gotcha don't want to give them any ideas........
Genius insania et conseri manum
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Congrats, Ensign Capt. Jethro. Here's the key to the officer's lavatory.

And here's your mop and bucket. :happydevil:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Mikey wrote:Congrats, Ensign Capt. Jethro. Here's the key to the officer's lavatory.

And here's your mop and bucket. :happydevil:
Sorry Count de Monet, I will not take the bucket! :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAgu6zI9v0
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Capt. Jethro wrote:Just got promoted to ensign, can I now please take my station at the helm of a starship? :mrgreen:

Hell yes. You just can't fly it yet :lol:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Mark wrote:
Capt. Jethro wrote:Just got promoted to ensign, can I now please take my station at the helm of a starship? :mrgreen:

Hell yes. You just can't fly it yet :lol:
Well crap, I was wanting to add something else to my logbook. :mrgreen:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hey, Troi can't fly either by all accounts, but that didn't stop her plowing the ship into the ground on several occasions. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:Hey, Troi can't fly either by all accounts, but that didn't stop her plowing the ship into the ground on several occasions. :P
In her defense ( :takecover: ) I believe that's what the saucer section was meant to do if it landed.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As you say, Troi couldn't fly - but she sure as hell could crash.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

From Memory Alpha:
Emergency landing of saucer section
The saucer module of the USS Enterprise-D, crashed on Veridian IIIThe saucer sections of many starship classes are designed to make planetfall on a suitable planetary surface, preferably Class M. The saucer must be making a level approach and heading towards the ground at a shallow angle. The area chosen for landing must be smooth and relatively free of obstruction. The great structural stresses placed on the spaceframe of a landing saucer section would most likely prevent it from being returned to spaceflight. (Star Trek Generations)

The Enterprise-D saucer landing sequence was conceived in 1991 for the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual. Writers Ronald D. Moore, Brannon Braga, and Jeri Taylor were inspired by that information and wanted to use a crash as a cliffhanger for the sixth season of TNG, but producer Michael Piller did not like the idea. Furthermore, it would have been too costly to film on a television budget with the VFX technology available at the time. Moore and Braga later wrote the scene into Generations.
According to fandom sources as well as Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, the original Enterprise had landing gear stored underneath the two triangle-shaped hatches on the ventral side of the saucer. A third leg popped out from the cavity where the secondary hull connected to the saucer. Similar shapes were placed on the saucer of the Enterprise-E as a homage to the original ship, although designer John Eaves did not realize the fandom history behind those objects.
For the refit Enterprise, Andrew Probert purposefully designed landing gear into the saucer, hidden behind the four square panels located on the saucer's concave underside. The panels were also carried over to many TMP-era designs, including the USS Reliant and USS Excelsior. Probert had intended to place landing gear on the Enterprise-D saucer as well, but became distracted by other elements and never returned to the landing gear concept. As he recalled several years later, the poor ship eventually paid the price for that oversight!
[edit] Examples of separation
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Your killing our Troi bashing you know. But it also raises an interesting question. I assume the planetfall manuver for a saucer is a tricky manuver. Why the hell would they let Troi do it? How the hell did someone who probebly only had basic piloting courses at the acadamy execute it?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Probably because they never intended to try and land - why would they? It would have been simpler and safer to remain in orbit and await rescue. Unfortunately a combination of Troi's driving and the shockwave from the engineering hull's destruction meant they weren't given a choice.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Your killing our Troi bashing you know. But it also raises an interesting question. I assume the planetfall manuver for a saucer is a tricky manuver. Why the hell would they let Troi do it? How the hell did someone who probebly only had basic piloting courses at the acadamy execute it?
Or Troi had more pilot training then we give her credit for when she decided to go through proper bridge officers training.