Ship of the Week: Home One

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Ship of the Week: Home One

Post by Captain Seafort »

A bit of an odd one this, since we don't know all that much about it - quite surprising given her importance to the Rebel (and later New Republic) fleet. There were at least two of the design at Endor, and possibly a third if the second ship seen destroyed by DSII was one of their class.

About 3800m long, armed with 29 turbolasers and 36 ion cannon (allegedly, at any rate - seems a bit low to me, unless it only refers to the heavy guns) and carries 120 starfighters.

Discuss. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week: Home One

Post by Reliant121 »

Wasn't the Home one a MC80?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The term "MC80" is, as far as I can tell, applied to all the Mon Cal ships at Endor. Since there were three distinct designs present (although two appear to be variants of each other) the term is either utterly useless or refers to something other than a ship class. Perhaps it's the designation of a construction programme that included representatives of all three designs.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I believe, although this may be non-canon, there were two version of MC80, the MC80 and the MC80a, and then an MC85/90.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed that the given armament seems pretty limited. Perhaps some of those 29 turbolasers are multi-gun emplacements?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, no two Mon Calimari ships are alike, due to their construction philosophies. As such, terms like "MC80" generaly cover a wide array of designs that are roughly compareable.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The trouble with that claim is that the ships at Endor fell into three distinct types - the Home One-type, the Liberty-type, and the wingless Liberty-type. There were no apparant distinguishing features to identify specific ships within those types, any more so than within the ISD subclasses. Besides which, I don't see how you can call the Home One and Liberty types "roughly comparable", given that one is at least twice the length of the other. The best that could be said is that "MC80" is the designation of a Mon Cal rearmament prgramme that included at least destroyers and cruisers.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Again, IIRC, during the galactic civil war, the Mon Calamari tried to "standardize" the size, mass and equipment so certain ships would fall under a particular category. The MC80 had two subdivisions that have been seen, those resembling the Home One. and those resembling the Liberty (each gave name to its subtype).

This is a non-canon explanation, so i have seen, but it seems pretty good.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And those earlier Mon Cal ships also started out life as starliners, IIRC. They were retrofitted as warships.

Later Mon Cal designs were more standardized, yes, but the earlier ones were also works of art.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

MC-80 wasn't a class title, but a rough size title. The MonCal didn't make a standard design until the MC-90 Heavy Star Cruiser.

Home One was the high point of the Mon Cal shipyards. Their largest ship ever to that date. I always figured that the count on her weapons was a bit off. She seemed to stay in the thick of the fighting with multiple SDs around her. I'd guess that Home One's armorment had to atleast match an Imperial II's.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Considering she was holding her own (relatively comfortably) with numerous ISD's, i would surmise the figures might be a little unrealistic.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:MC-80 wasn't a class title, but a rough size title.
In which case Home One certainly isn't an MC80 - she's two to three times the length of the two Liberty types.
The MonCal didn't make a standard design until the MC-90 Heavy Star Cruiser.
Then why, with a dozen or more Mon Cal ships at Endor, were only three designs observed?
I always figured that the count on her weapons was a bit off.
Or, as has already been mentioned, the numbers refer to the heavy guns, her equivalent of the ISD's heavy aft batteries.
I'd guess that Home One's armorment had to atleast match an Imperial II's.
As an absolute bare minimum. Given that two Home One types and 6-10 Liberty types took down the Executor, I expect a Home One would have an ISD for breakfast.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

In which case Home One certainly isn't an MC80 - she's two to three times the length of the two Liberty types.
Fully agreed.
Then why, with a dozen or more Mon Cal ships at Endor, were only three designs observed?
The MC is more of a tonage marker then a class line. There were three designs, all around the same size.
Or, as has already been mentioned, the numbers refer to the heavy guns, her equivalent of the ISD's heavy aft batteries.
So then what kind of AA and light cannon would we think to see?
As an absolute bare minimum. Given that two Home One types and 6-10 Liberty types took down the Executor, I expect a Home One would have an ISD for breakfast.
That would explain alot.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:The MC is more of a tonage marker then a class line. There were three designs, all around the same size.
Nope. There were two designs about the same size, plus the Home One type. Out of a dozen or more ships. That shows series production, not this "every ship's unique" WEG stupidity.
So then what kind of AA and light cannon would we think to see?
In the region of 350-400 emplacements, if the ratio is similar to that of the VenStar or ISD.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Nope. There were two designs about the same size, plus the Home One type. Out of a dozen or more ships. That shows series production, not this "every ship's unique" WEG stupidity.
WEG? Maybe the unique is the series designs. The design is only used until the same designer comes along with upgrades or something wholy new.
In the region of 350-400 emplacements, if the ratio is similar to that of the VenStar or ISD.
That is an awsome hellstorm!