The Kelvin and Canon Designs

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Kelvin and Canon Designs

Post by Mikey »

He was, I believe, talking about "imbalance" as far as the nacelle placement, which would only affect FTL speed. For all we know, distance between the nacelle and the main spaceframe is encouraged for optimum warp travel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

At least, in the 23rd century. They seemed to have overcome that by the 24th century with the Defiant.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

Personally i love the Kelvin design. As far as the balance problem goes, it seems pretty balanced to me. though were not sure of the exact mass of the nacelle vs the secondary hull bur from seeing inside the nacelle of the galaxy class in tng and it being largely hollow, i guess we can assume that this one is to, so you could assume the secondary hull though being smaller is as heavy or almost as heavy. assuming this, the impulse engines on the back of the primary hull would be pretty mush in the senter of gravity. also this design seems as if it would hive the ship an aweful lot of manueverability although the 2 nacelle design was one of rodenbery's ruled, i don't mind seeing variations.

I would think that the nacelle is below the primary hull and suspended by a small nech would be to allow for more height for the warp core, assuming the ship has a verticle warp core that is... then suspending the secondary hull above it in the location that it is give the ship a balanced center of gravity, though it does seem as if it would be a bit biased to the rear

here would be my guess at CoG and warp core placement. red for CoG blue for warp core

but its all just he says she says for now i guess
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Is that a new picture?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:Is that a new picture?
It's from the website, I think.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

it is, but i actually pulled it off this website

thread
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2685

here is the website with the 3d view
https://boldlygo.intel.com/content/index.html

and here is the image i cropped
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think you're a bit forward of where the center of gravity would be, but that doesn't matter so much in space.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I think you're a bit forward of where the center of gravity would be, but that doesn't matter so much in space.

Well it should affect there turning ability, they still have to move that stuff around after all but thanks to ST's magical SIF/AG it's probably minimised.
Personally i love the Kelvin design. As far as the balance problem goes, it seems pretty balanced to me. though were not sure of the exact mass of the nacelle vs the secondary hull bur from seeing inside the nacelle of the galaxy class in tng and it being largely hollow, i guess we can assume that this one is to, so you could assume the secondary hull though being smaller is as heavy or almost as heavy. assuming this, the impulse engines on the back of the primary hull would be pretty mush in the senter of gravity. also this design seems as if it would hive the ship an aweful lot of manueverability although the 2 nacelle design was one of rodenbery's ruled, i don't mind seeing variations.
You may as well just throw Roddenberry's rules out the window at this point, he hasn't been in control of the franchise for decades and he may well have come up with that to discredit the Franz Joseph designs in the TOS Tech Manual. He was pretty motivated to try and retain as much power over the franchise as he could. Besides, it was never canon to begin with.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...Besides, it was never canon to begin with.
The AGT E-D threw that rule out the window 15 years ago, anyways.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:The AGT E-D threw that rule out the window 15 years ago, anyways.
The Franz Joseph designs blew it away when they turned up in TWoK over a quarter of a century ago.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:The AGT E-D threw that rule out the window 15 years ago, anyways.
The Franz Joseph designs blew it away when they turned up in TWoK over a quarter of a century ago.
Right. On tiny little screens, but they were still there.
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

Mikey wrote:I think you're a bit forward of where the center of gravity would be, but that doesn't matter so much in space.

Well, Center of gravity may have been the wrong word, but the balance of the shop would still greatly effect the ship's manueverability. a well balanced ship would turn faster with less effort. i moved the CoG forward in my picbecause i figured the "sauser" section would be rather heavy with having the weapon systems and what not... but looking back at it, your probably right, though you would assume that they wouldn't have movef the seondary hull so far back if it moved the CoG back further, seems like it would hurd the design
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't know that center of gravity would have quite as pronounced an effect on maneuverability as many here seem to believe... at FTL, who knows what manipulation of the "warp field" would acheive, and whether "balance" of the ship has any bearing. At sublight speeds, the mass-lessening effect of impulse drive may very easily be targetted toward the more massive sections.
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mikey wrote:At sublight speeds, the mass-lessening effect of impulse drive may very easily be targetted toward the more massive sections.
I thought I read in the TNG tech manual that that technology was rather new... :?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lazar wrote:
Mikey wrote:At sublight speeds, the mass-lessening effect of impulse drive may very easily be targetted toward the more massive sections.
I thought I read in the TNG tech manual that that technology was rather new... :?
IIRC, impulse drive was around for a while... besides, the TM's aren't canon
as Bull offed Custer