Fleets and Armies of Stargate.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Fleets and Armies of Stargate.

Post by Deepcrush »

We've covered most of the other SciFi's so far but not this one. I wanted to talk about the different factions. Starting from the bottom...

Tau'ri (Earth kids playing with the big boys toys)
The newest race to the scene, out fitted with stolen or traded tech and a lot of raw grit. Though they are the youngest power they are making a strong standing.

Goa'uld (Little nasty worms that pretend to be gods)
A race of almost only stolen tech along with near endless hordes of troops who believe their masters are gods. Also rounded by a pretty large fleet of semi-advanced warships.

Asgard (Little grey people who you just want to bounce on your knee)
An advanced race with no ground combat ability that we've seen but a fleet so powerful that a trio of ships made the Goa'uld combined forces run for dear life.

Ori (Those funny people who ask if you've found God)
Nasty ground forces due to their numbers but their ships seem to eat most anything alive. Its a good thing that they didn't have many ships.

Ancients (They went where old folks go after Florida)
Ground forces that make fans proud cry but ships that make VS fans drool. Endless tech that always shows up and some how solve every problem in the galaxy.

Wraith (Space vampires with better tans)
If every there was a force that based its power by pure numbers, this is them. Organic tech in everything but suffer a weakness due too their food supply.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Fleets and Armies of Stargate.

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What periods are comparing the various factions in? As of "now" in the SG universe, the Ancients could probably lay an unholy smackdown on the Wraith if they wished, despite being beaten in the war X millenia ago.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I wasn't really looking for a single time period, nor a vs thing. I wanted to talk about the factions in their own rights first.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Quite a bit of the Ancients' tech experiments have also gone awry. Seriously, how many episodes have there been featuring failed Ancient experiments?
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

More than I can remember.

On a semi-on-topic note, how many ships does Earth now have under its control?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Half a dozen probably.

I dont see how they are keeping it all secret. The industry put into the space fleet is massive.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Each must mass about the size of a Nimitz or so, right? How they're managing to finance, construct and crew a half dozen of these things is beyond me.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There would have to be, at a total minimum, thousands of people who know about this "top secret" stuff.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:Half a dozen probably.

I dont see how they are keeping it all secret. The industry put into the space fleet is massive.
I figure maybe 4. There's only 3 known ones (still in service) Odysee (sp?), Daedalus, Apollo. The Korolev was crewed by Russians and destroyed within the first week, and the Phoenix is speculative but may be in development.

I'm thinking the SGC isn't quite as secret as it was, it has also become international so the people who know about it are not just in the US, but spread throughout the world.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

After looking it up, there were 5 ships of the Daedalus pattern.
Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev, Apollo and Sun Tzu. The Korolev was built by the USAF, and later given to the Russians. Also, in an alternate timeline, there was a sixth ship; the Phoenix.

Given that each has approximately 200 crew, that's the best part of a thousand people out in space. Add in a couple thousand more people to do maintanence and repair work on it, and a few thousand more people to construct the ships, and you're looking at a hell of a lot of people involved purely with the ships themselves. That really stretches credibility about keeping it secret.

And what do they do when they lose a ship? If two or three people die in Iraq, the media is all over it. How are they going to cover up the fact that 200 people just died all at once? What are they possibly going to say that will allieviate suspicion?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Terrorist bombing at a base, 200 dead... not hard to believe. As to the money, Bush lost hundreds of billions of dollars and most people never even noticed.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And no one would be suspicious when not a single body comes back?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Who says you couldn't get most of the bodies back. Besides, military families understand they can't always know the full details.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:After looking it up, there were 5 ships of the Daedalus pattern.
Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev, Apollo and Sun Tzu. The Korolev was built by the USAF, and later given to the Russians. Also, in an alternate timeline, there was a sixth ship; the Phoenix.
Sun Tzu? Where from?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

me,myself and I wrote:
Rochey wrote:After looking it up, there were 5 ships of the Daedalus pattern.
Sun Tzu? Where from?
Mentioned in Enemy at the Gate.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.