WH-Vampire Wars: The Van Carsetein Trilogy (Review)

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

WH-Vampire Wars: The Van Carsetein Trilogy (Review)

Post by Aaron »

I don't know where to put this, because it's definitely Fantasy.

I've been pondering what to say about this omnibus for a couple weeks and all I can come up with is:

What.The.f**k.Is.This.About?

And I'm dead serious; I cannot find a coherent plot, premise or message in this omnibus at all. All I can tell is that it concerns various Vampire Counts attempts to conquer the Old World. And that a really cool dwarf with the aid of a bunch of humans, dwarfs, vamps and eldar take the last one down. There are so many characters being introduced and killed off that within the first 200 pages I was completely lost.

Do not buy this is you value your sanity or want to maintain a good view of the Warhammer universe.

P.S. This novel also makes the leadership of the Empire out to be morons that surpass even the MI of Starship Troopers, movie version.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: WH-Vampire Wars: The Van Carsetein Trilogy (Review)

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've never read it, and by the sounds of it I don't think I'll be changing that fact anytime soon.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:I've never read it, and by the sounds of it I don't think I'll be changing that fact anytime soon.
From the few books I've read in the Warhammer Fantasy universe, it really lacks the quality and interesting bits of WH40K. But this one really took the cake, part of the reason why the Empire keeps getting it's ass kicked by the Vampires and their DREAD LEGION OF THE UNDEAD! is that the Count has a ring that makes him immortal, yet when the humans capture it, they don't destroy it!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So it's basicaly Lord of the Rings, but with even stupider good guys?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:So it's basicaly Lord of the Rings, but with even stupider good guys?
Yup. The dwarf was cool but then they always are.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The story line for WHF has never been a big grab for me. The Empire is always doing something stupid and the priests have to rebuild it. Chaos is the super evil but can't even defeat a single city in a war. Though I do like the novel 'Mark of Chaos' but even that made the Empire's high ups as total tools...
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Deepcrush wrote:The story line for WHF has never been a big grab for me. The Empire is always doing something stupid and the priests have to rebuild it. Chaos is the super evil but can't even defeat a single city in a war. Though I do like the novel 'Mark of Chaos' but even that made the Empire's high ups as total tools...
I've been trying to get into it, more from a shortage of interesting WH40K at the moment than anything else and aside from The Blackhearts Omnibus I haven't found much good. I can only tolerate so much idiocy from what is supposed to be a thousand year old Empire. I also hate Elves, space or otherwise.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To be honest, the latest Emperor seems to hold some worth (along with an IQ above the single digits). Whats always amazed me is that the Empire has held together for so long. There are some city-states that suffer nearly endless wars but gain little help from anyone. You should think that reinforcements to the northern and eastern borders would be on order IN MASS! Though I do LOVE the stories about Nuln. Their ideas about endless guns with more big guns just seems at home for me.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Deepcrush wrote:To be honest, the latest Emperor seems to hold some worth (along with an IQ above the single digits). Whats always amazed me is that the Empire has held together for so long. There are some city-states that suffer nearly endless wars but gain little help from anyone. You should think that reinforcements to the northern and eastern borders would be on order IN MASS! Though I do LOVE the stories about Nuln. Their ideas about endless guns with more big guns just seems at home for me.
The only problem I have with the Empire and firearms is that they should have curbstomped their enemies by now. Their the only power with consistant access to blackpowder and they even have percussion cap weapons! So when I'm reading a story that has them used a lot it can break SoD for me rather hard.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's one thing I liked about The Burning Shore, a story about a bunch of human (and a few dwarf) mercs going to Lustria to grab some gold from the lizardmen. The guns and cannons absolutely massacred the lizards that rushed them with swords and spears. It was only sheer weight of numbers and a lack of ammunition that allowed the lizardmen to get anywhere near them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats why I love Nuln so much. Row upon row of handgunners and cannon with a solid spear wall in front.