Which Sci-Fi do you think will be closest to real life?

Everything else
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The Firefly episode Safe seems likely to happen, with religious nutters living in the hills.
I guess you must be right - in my world, there are pseudo-religious zealot crackpots all over the place.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
I guess you must be right - in my world, there are pseudo-religious zealot crackpots all over the place.
Mine too, in fact once a month every month I get the same two old ladies knocking on my door asking if I'd like to hear about "the greatest man who ever lived".
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

DarkOmen wrote:
Rochey wrote:Off to the DVD rental store I go!
I liked Gattaca to, let us know if you like it rochey.
yay for gattaca!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mine too, in fact once a month every month I get the same two old ladies knocking on my door asking if I'd like to hear about "the greatest man who ever lived".
I pity you.

Funnily enough, despite Irelands stereotype as a very religous country, we actually aren't that religous.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Mine too, in fact once a month every month I get the same two old ladies knocking on my door asking if I'd like to hear about "the greatest man who ever lived".
What do you tell them - that you've already read On the Origin of Species? :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
What do you tell them - that you've already read On the Origin of Species? :)
It varies, I have PTSD so I have very little patience for BS. The first time I said no thanks, the second time I said no and slammed the door in their face and the next time I'm going to tell them I've blasphemed the holy spirit and not to bother coming back.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
Think they'll get the message?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I bloody hope so, my wife wants to get a sign that says "no proselytizing" for the front door. But that assumes their intelligent enough to know what that means.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You have high hopes for their inteligence in that case.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:You have high hopes for their inteligence in that case.
Probably too high, we saw a better one on Ebay that said "no solicitors, that includes religious nuts". Might get that one if they come back after the blaspheming speech.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I am a Jew, and my wife is a Byzantine Catholic. Once while on vacation 9on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, of all places!) we were accosted by two men trying to proselytize/convert us. After a couple of attempts to politely explain that we were very happy with our own faiths, and that it wasn't really their business anyhow, we finally began to become annoyed. After finding out the their "true faith" to which they were trying to guide us was in fact the Jews for Jesus (a paradoxical name for a group of floundering pseudo-theosophists) my wife explained, "We've got it covered - he's a Jew and I'm for Jesus."

They didn't bother us after that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Babylon 5. Especially the EA tech.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I think Alien/Aliens might come close. Terraforming, big business, not a Utopia or Dystopia, but a recognizable imperfect world, auto weapons firing caseless ammo, an "oil-rig" vibe about people working in space., etc, etc.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I think Stargate series is very realistic, assuming the parts with the ancients and ancient egyptions are accurate. Honestly, I could see these as real people, I could easily see myself talking with a member of SG-1 and having a normal conversationg with them.