Which Sci-Fi do you think will be closest to real life?

Everything else
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Which Sci-Fi do you think will be closest to real life?

Post by Monroe »

Which Sci-Fi that is set in its timeline do you think is closest to what real life will be?

Personally I can see elements of a lot in real life, wouldn't surprise me if an Unreal (the game) universe was established that eventually religion turned it into a Dune style universe or Warhammer 40k universe (which those two universes actually connect to each other really well). All three of those devalue human life which is something I can see coming.

I don't see the background for the Matrix (not the actual matrix but the war with the machines) and Terminator being too far off though.

While it would be nice if humans made a Federation I just can't see it happening and Star Wars is awesome and but its setting is impossible and technology moves extremely slow (Nearly no change since the Republic was formed).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personally I thought nBSG humans were the closest to real life humans in any sci-fi.
If religious fundamentalism gains hold I can see something like 40K eventually happening.
Star Trek is highly unlikely to ever come through.
B5 is a possibility.
Star Wars is awesome and but its setting is impossible
So is most sci-fi. :wink:
(Nearly no change since the Republic was formed).
Minor nit-pick. The tech hasn't changed for a couple of centuries prior to Phantom Menace. Literature set during the formation of the Republic, the Sith war, etc all show that tech has increased.
But it is true that SW seems to have reached its technological limit.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Gattaca, more's the pity.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

:shock: Gattaca.........
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Graham, was a minor hero of mine, for his knowledge, kindness, honesty and general great-blokehood, until mentioning and thus admitting to watching that film............ :P
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've never even heard of it. Should I take it its one to avoid?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Minor nit-pick. The tech hasn't changed for a couple of centuries prior to Phantom Menace. Literature set during the formation of the Republic, the Sith war, etc all show that tech has increased.
But it is true that SW seems to have reached its technological limit.
I've read and played games from the Sith Wars but I wasn't aware there was much about the formation of the republic out there. I haven't read much in Star Wars since I was a sophmore in highschool so the universe has changed somewhat. Been catching up lately on a wikia site. So there any books or anything set at the time of the formation of the Old Republic?

I downloaded this 1000 page timeline of Star Wars (I need to download the update) and it mentioned a book that was canceled that was set at 37,000 BBY when humans crossed from the Milky Way into the SW Galaxy. But since they've hinted that the Zhell are ancient humans from the same homeworld as the Taungs or Mandalorians I don't think that canceled book is a good source anymore.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Been catching up lately on a wikia site. So there any books or anything set at the time of the formation of the Old Republic?
I've heard there were, dont really know though. My earlier statement about pre-Republic times was mostly using common sense, if tech is lower during the Sith wars, it would logically be lower during the founding of the Republic.
I downloaded this 1000 page timeline of Star Wars
:shock:
You wouldn't happen to have a link?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'm happy no one said Star trek :D
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:I've never even heard of it. Should I take it its one to avoid?
That depends. If you are the kind of person who thinks that it's not science fiction unless there are energy cannon and explosions in it, then avoid Gattaca like the plague.

If, however, you want a vision of the future that is all too possible, and more than a little disturbing, if you want something that is thoughtful rather than frantic, I would rent it ASAP.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Off to the DVD rental store I go!
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Conversely it might be seen not as something prophetic, but more as a medium for certain political views of the present, its all a matter of the viewers' own interpretations really.
To be fair on the film, the main reason i find it distasteful,probably is purely because of personal events that occured at the time i first watched the film, so point taken back.
By the way, graham, just teasing,still have an extremely high opinion of you afterall you're the one who got me addicted to space 1999,
ps am not such a fan of pyrotechnics in films :)
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Rochey wrote:Off to the DVD rental store I go!
I liked Gattaca to, let us know if you like it rochey.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think Gibson's Neuromancer as the milieu which we will get closest to... at least in the (relatively) near future.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

The Firefly episode Safe seems likely to happen, with religious nutters living in the hills.