Windows on starships

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Windows on starships

Post by Capt. Jethro »

I just got through looking at startrekmovie.com and remembered a previous discussion about windows on a starship. In the gallery section of the movie website it shows Spock in front of the main viewer. Clearly it looks like a window, but with some holographic images on it. Kind of like a HUD you would see on military and some modern civilian aircraft. I know that there has been some discussion and possible research on making the entire windshield of an aircraft a HUD.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Windows on starships

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, we know. This was discussed and laughed at in an earlier thread.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Capt. Jethro wrote:I know that there has been some discussion and possible research on making the entire windshield of an aircraft a HUD.
How long ago was this? To the best of my knowledge that's been superseded by helmet-mounted HUDs.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Won't be long before we start seeing them on Car Windshields. I saw a demo of a navigation system that shows your route as a ribbon towards the top of the windshield - it hovers above the road and shows the exact path you have to take.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:Won't be long before we start seeing them on Car Windshields. I saw a demo of a navigation system that shows your route as a ribbon towards the top of the windshield - it hovers above the road and shows the exact path you have to take.
Good. Then more people will have an excuse when they run off the road "I was looking at the bloody map!". :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Great. As if cars don't have enough distractions already with radios, mobile phones, sat navs, kids in the back, nattering passengers, etc, without adding glowing squiggles in front of your face. Idiots are too prone to smacking into things as it is without adding this into the mix.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I don't see how having a small transparent display on the bottom right of the dashboard is any more dangerous then having it on the dashboard.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Capt. Jethro wrote:I know that there has been some discussion and possible research on making the entire windshield of an aircraft a HUD.
How long ago was this? To the best of my knowledge that's been superseded by helmet-mounted HUDs.
It's only a matter of time before it's a reality. I tried Googling the topic before I submitted the post, but wasn't able to find it. But I remember seeing a video when there was the idea for a SST business jet that had a window HUD. I also remember seeing an illustration years ago in Flying magazine. But I don't remember how long ago that was. I just wish HUDS were more of a common place in the civilian market, I think Alaska Airlines and Horizon use HUD systems with and enhance visual system similar to a FLIR.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/news/f ... 7tech.html
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, that's just stupid. Expect to see the number of car crashes go through the fucking roof.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, HUD on cars=lots of dead texters.
Common Joe Driver is not as skilled os fighter pilot.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:Common Joe Driver is not as skilled as fighter pilot.
Joe the Driver perhaps? :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Bah, we dont need such articles. :lol:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
I'm with Seafort on this one. The latest fighters incorporate look-and-shoot helmet HUD's with slaved targetting.
kostmayer wrote:Won't be long before we start seeing them on Car Windshields. I saw a demo of a navigation system that shows your route as a ribbon towards the top of the windshield - it hovers above the road and shows the exact path you have to take.
Are you guys living under rocks? My 2005 Pontiac demo had an HUD. It incorporated the speedometer, which directional signal was on, the compass, and the current radio station. Before you get all uppity about it including the radio station, remember - what display requires the largest deviation from watching the road? Yes, it's the radio display. The display controls included brightness adjustment, a vertical adjustment (it couldn't be set high enough to be directly in your LOS while looking straight ahead,) and "stealth mode" (no, really!) which turned off the dashboard illumination and just lit the HUD.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Oh I know the technology is there, but they're far from standard kit.

And I still say having basic information on a part of the windscreen that doesn't block your view is much safer then having it on the dashboard that requires you to look down.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And when the lights of another car shine into your windshield you can't see any of your HUD info. Hard enough now.