Confirmed: STXI is alternate timeline

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Confirmed: STXI is alternate timeline

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:...I can't believe I'm having this argument!...
I've been thinking the same thing. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

stitch626 wrote:I dont care what the cutaways, which arent cannon, say. The model has the ejection system in the middle of the engineering section. The ejection system is for the core, which is straight. Therefore there is no way for the core to be in the neck!
Did they ever establish, in canon, that the thing you're seeing was the ejection system? The 1701 cutaway poster and the deckplans, which were very detailed and well thought out, both showed it going through the neck. And staying strictly with canon, most of the secondary hull was shown in TMP to be a giant cargo-shuttle bay. Where would the warp core have fit, if not in the front?

EDIT: In fact, Andrew Probert's own sketch shows the warp core going through the neck. Pretty definitive.
Last edited by Lazar on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:...And staying strictly with canon, most of the secondary hull was shown in TMP to be a giant cargo-shuttle bay. Where would the warp core have fit, if not in the front?
Good point; the shuttlebay takes up a good portion of the rear secondary hull, and having engineering in the front portion would put them right next to the deflector. Which does make a lot of sense. Of course, since tech manuals and so forth aren't canon, then all we have is conjecture. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

While never said to be an ejection system, it is identical to the ejection system seen on every other starship. Therefore it is only logical for it to also be the wc ejection.
As for the hanger, it looked bigger than it was. It didn't take up more than half of the engineering section, if even that much.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

stitch626 wrote:While never said to be an ejection system, it is identical to the ejection system seen on every other starship. Therefore it is only logical for it to also be the wc ejection.
As for the hanger, it looked bigger than it was. It didn't take up more than half of the engineering section, if even that much.
Look at Andrew Probert's own sketch of the finalized refit-Enterprise, which corresponds exactly to what we saw in the movie. (The warp core was pretty clearly intended to hook up with the blue dome on the saucer, and to correspond with the visible indentation on the side of the neck.) Remember, Kirk's travel pod docked with the docking port on the side of the secondary hull, and he stepped into a huge combined cargo bay-shuttle bay. It did take up most of the length of the secondary hull.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lazar wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Right. Engineering must be tiny in the new E-nil. :?
Engineering wasn't very big in TMP and TWOK either. But in any case, the engineering room doesn't account for a large proportion of the secondary hull volume, so we don't really have any indication of how large it will be.
That's a good point, don't know why I said that. :?
Evidently you haven't.
EDIT - Wait, you think that the warp core is the same thing as engineering? NO! The warp core is the big glowing column in the middle of the room. Please get your terminology straight.
Yes, I know that. The warp core is in the Engineering room.

Ok, I'm not sure how canon those are so I may be wrong. But I'm pretty sure at least for the TNG era ships.

EDIT: Right click>view all.

But I'm sure you all know that by now. :p
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Ooh, I think you want to take out those hotlinks. :?

But no, I don't dispute that for the Galaxy and the Sovereign, the warp core is located entirely in the secondary hull. I'm familiar with the MSDs. I was just talking about the Con-refit and the Excelsior.
Last edited by Lazar on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lazar wrote:Ooh I think you want to take out those hotlinks. :?
Oh. Hotlinking not allowed? Blimy.

Can I save it to flickr and link it from there or something?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Dunno.
YEs.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

They were too big anyway. :)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Interesting... well, I wont argue anymore.
Mostly because I have to go, partially because I am starting to agree with you. :)

However, I still say the new one is ugly.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:
Dunno.
YEs.
Cool.

Ok, now that that's over with:

Not in neck:

Not in neck here either:

Not in Voyager either:

At least according to these only the Excelsior has its warp core in the neck.

Oh, and Voyager's weird; looks like it has two warp cores or something. What's that other long thing?

Maybe we're talking past each other, or I'm misunderstanding you?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

LaughingCheese wrote:Not in neck:
The E-nil didn't have a warp core at all.
Not in neck here either:
I don't dispute those.
Not in Voyager either:
I don't dispute that either.
Oh, and Voyager's weird; looks like it has two warp cores or something. What's that other long thing?
Yeah, according to the cutaways that's the "reserve warp core", although they never did anything with it on the show. Chalk it up to :Q.
Maybe we're talking past each other, or I'm misunderstanding you?
I never said that they all have the warp core in the neck - I'm familiar with all those MSDs -, but the Excelsior definitely does, and the Con-refit pretty clearly does as well.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lazar wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Not in neck:
The E-nil didn't have a warp core at all.
Really!?

I was just watching the episode about Lazarus and the anti matter universe. Lazarus stole the dilithium crystals for the warp core. :?

Yeah, according to the cutaways that's the "reserve warp core", although they never did anything with it on the show. Chalk it up to :Q.
Hmm.
I never said that they all have the warp core in the neck - I'm familiar with all those MSDs -, but the Excelsior definitely does, and the Con-refit pretty clearly does as well.
Oh, ok. I guess those are the exceptions. I'm more familiar with TNG era ships.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

LaughingCheese wrote:I was just watching the episode about Lazarus and the anti matter universe. Lazarus stole the dilithium crystals for the warp core. :?
The E-nil had dilithium crystals, but it had no warp core in the modern sense. The warp core was created for TMP (and in fact they redressed the TMP engineering set to serve as the TNG engineering set).
Last edited by Lazar on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.