Info on the USS Kelvin

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Info on the USS Kelvin

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Found some nice info on the Kelvin here, including a rotating 3d model.

Interesting facts:
The Kelvin is equiped with banks of pop-up phaser turrets.
The ship only has one nacelle, the dorsal "nacelle" is actualy a large hanger bay.
One of the officers is a previously unseen alien race.
The ship's bridge has windows rather than a viewscreen. :bangwall:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Info on the USS Kelvin

Post by Teaos »

Windows? They do realise that most of the events in trek happen when ships are at least hundreds of meters apart and sometimes kilometers apart?

Looking out a window wouldbe as inpractical as hell.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not to mention the fact that it's a window on a fracking starship.

Gah, the stupid!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Wow. I can actually see a little man in the bridge window. Who was the guy who hated the exposed bridges? A huge window on an exposed bridge is going to give him a coronary when he sees this.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Who was the guy who hated the exposed bridges? A huge window on an exposed bridge is going to give him a coronary when he sees this.
:wave:

For the record, I also hate windows on starships as well. So this is like double the stupidity.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Great start indeed. :roll: What do you reckon the chances are of the warp core going bang when someone looks at it funny?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Also, assuming the Bridge is at the usual place at the top of the ship, wouldn't the saucer section pretty much block half your view?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Rochey wrote:
Who was the guy who hated the exposed bridges? A huge window on an exposed bridge is going to give him a coronary when he sees this.
:wave:

For the record, I also hate windows on starships as well. So this is like double the stupidity.
Oh. :D How you holding up?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wait until we tell him that the window is actually made of cellophane.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:Wait until we tell him that the window is actually made of cellophane.
Ha! That's nothing, did you know that her spaceframe is wooden? :P

I knew she was a single-nacelle ship when I saw the pic in the other thread. Starfleet has always placed the bridge at the top - even in ships designed for battle (in the 23rd C and later DS9 eras), so stupidity in their past shouldn't be a surprise. Windows? My reaction was similar to Teaos, in addition to the fact the damn thing is fragile (I was always waiting for E-D's bridge skylight window to break). But, exposed bridges and windows look cool! :roll:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some views of the ship I cobbled together :

Windows don't bother me, particularly. Yeah, its dumb. But geez, they've been on every single ship we've ever seen in Star Trek.
I'm afraid I can't get worked up about it after the two hundredth time.

I do love that we finally get a good close up on screen ship with a single nacelle. That "nacelles in pairs" rule Gene invented
always struck me as stupid.

Whoa, that nacelle is fricken HUGE.

Gotta say, I would have expected the nacelle to be above and hull below. I guess they wanted to distinguish it from the
Enterprise, but I think this design would work better the other way up. Shades of the Reliant mixup here.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The size of the nacelle doesn't surprise me. It's doing the work of what would otherwise be two smaller ones.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

windows haven't ever bothered me in trek because of technological advances.

Currently NASA is developing a Plasma window. with magnetic containment the plasma works better at holding atmosphere in, and it's not fragile like glass (or plexiglass, ect...).

By the 24th Century it's likely they'd be able to actually combine the process as well as using forcefields. From the inside it'd be glass, on the outside it's plasma (i'm visioning a double window here like on planes on on the inside of the hull, one outside the hull with 1/2 atmosphere between them to reduce stresses on the windows.) then the glass portion would have a force field generated within it much like a SIF to make it stronger.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well there is also the fact that they have transparent aluminium even in the 23rd century. By the 24th they may have transparent duranium or tritanium or whatever. So really, the windows might be just as strong as any other part of the hull.

That I recall, we've only seen one example of a window breaking in all of Trek - the bridge dome broke in the saucer crashlanding scene in Generations. But given the ride the saucer went through, I tend to be somewhat forgiving of that. Some of the debris that got thrown up on top of that hull looked to be the size of a whole room, at least, and was going at, what, a few hundred miles an hour?

Beyond that... can anybody remember an exterior window breaking? Ever?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well, there's Voyager in Year of Hell...
but 2 excuses
1. It was a Year of Hell and it had had the shite beat out of it.
2. It was Voyager :mrgreen:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.