Dogfight 1: 'Valiant' Dominion Battleship vs Sovereign

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Dogfight 1: 'Valiant' Dominion Battleship vs Sovereign

Post by Granitehewer »

Both ships with regular non-hero crews, no external support, no deus ex machina, no plot devices etc
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dogfight 1: 'Valiant' Dominion Battleship vs Sovereign

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Could we have a bit more info on the scenario? Just comparing their strength indices from the main site, the Battleship has a slight advantage.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The battleship is close to twice the length of the Sov, and given it's far more solid design probably outmasses it by an order of magnitude or more. On top of that Dominion tech tends to be more advanced than AQ tech. The Sov would get ripped apart.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The Valiant didn't do too well, cadet crew or not. I'm with Seafort - the Sov's manuverability advantage would be offset by the Battleship's heavy weapons. Tough battle, but a win for the Battleship.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

THe battleship is 3 times as strong as a GSC. We can compare a sov to the gsc. Here Rochey is right, the battleship should be slightly stronger than the sov but it would lose out on manuverbility. It's to close to call.
Seafort wrote:The battleship is close to twice the length of the Sov, and given it's far more solid design probably outmasses it by an order of magnitude or more
Beacause its big it wins. Well the GSC is bigger than the sov but no one will go and argue that because its bigger its also stronger.
On top of that Dominion tech tends to be more advanced than AQ tech
Its diffrent but after getting to know it the fed didn't have any trouble countering it.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

In a straight head to head fight, the Batleship has it. But as we know, fights are NEVER just head to head and that simple. But, the Battleship does have a significant advantage.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

I think the Sovereign could use it maneuverability to stay out of the firing arc of the battle ships main guns, while bringing all of its weapons to bear and concentrating fire on a single shield.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

m52nickerson wrote:I think the Sovereign could use it maneuverability to stay out of the firing arc of the battle ships main guns, while bringing all of its weapons to bear and concentrating fire on a single shield.
I was thinking something similar. I suppose it all depends on the scenario - if they start firing at a good distance, the Battleship might tear the Sov apart before they could manuver out of the firing arcs.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
m52nickerson wrote:I think the Sovereign could use it maneuverability to stay out of the firing arc of the battle ships main guns, while bringing all of its weapons to bear and concentrating fire on a single shield.
I was thinking something similar. I suppose it all depends on the scenario - if they start firing at a good distance, the Battleship might tear the Sov apart before they could manuver out of the firing arcs.
Maybe, but the Valiant took a few hit to destroy, so I think a Sov could take at least one volley pretty much in tacked.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

True, but a ship the size of the battleship is designed with her lack of manuverability in mind, which is why she'll have more weapons covering various firing arcs. The Sov may be able to avoid some of it's primary weapons systems, but certainly couldn't avoid getting hit completely. Again, it would really depend on a multitude of factors IMO
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

We really don't know enough about the battleship. Was it designed as an anti-ship weapon, or was it to take on bases with support ships to handle enemy vessels?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Or, perhaps as a fleet command/engagement vessel? You're right, we don't know enough about it to do more than guess based on it's performance in "Valiant". I, for one, don't believe it used anywhere near it's full firepower to destroy the Valiant. Or maybe some of the systems were damaged in the Valiant's attack. More guesswork...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

THe battleship is 3 times as strong as a GSC
Its three times as powerful, not strong. Power is only one of many important factors in battle.

I think when they said three times as powerful they only ment its power output.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I dunno if I agree with that. I think it was an overall strength comparison, personally.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

How would they judge that?

They can scan power, they can't get accurate readings on the weapons power, agility ect.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.