Website update

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Website update

Post by IanKennedy »

The website is currently unavailable as it's being updated. The new look is not radically different from the previous one but it almost halves the number files required to run the site. It's should slightly reduce the time to load the each page and lower the hit rate per page. Another major change is that out ancillary graphics, for example the menu buttons, title graphics at the top of each page etc. Each one of these takes time to download and uses up bandwidth. With the new site design we have an option to remove this loading completely, by simply downloading and installing a font file from our site. By doing this you you will find that the site not only looks virtually identical and works exactly the same way but is very very much faster. Anyway more of this when the site returns in about 10 mins.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Website update

Post by IanKennedy »

Ok, we're back and looking quite good. There's a few pages that don't quite work because of differences in the database versions, but I'm fixing those now.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That was quick, I was expecting it to be down for a day or so.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Downloading the font does improve speed! That's a neat trick. Looks good for the most part, but one thing I noticed was that in the episode reviews, it says (for example)

TNG EPISODE EPISODE

and the word episode is in two different fonts. Looks pretty funky to me. Seems to be the same throughout the Reviews section.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Grundig wrote:Downloading the font does improve speed! That's a neat trick. Looks good for the most part, but one thing I noticed was that in the episode reviews, it says (for example)

TNG EPISODE EPISODE

and the word episode is in two different fonts. Looks pretty funky to me. Seems to be the same throughout the Reviews section.
Not seeing that here. Try clearing your cache and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Just one thing I've noticed.
#
# The Motion
# The Wrath of
# The Search
# The Voyage
# The Final
# The
This is what I see for the movie review tabs.
The book review tabs have similar problems.
I do not know if this has always been that way, I can't remember checking before.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Ah, now I see the problem. I know what that is and I've just altered it. Works a lot better now. It's only a problem when you have the font downloaded.
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ah much better.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Huh. I haven't downloaded the font on my PC yet, and there's a red x in the same place.

Here's what it looks like in Internet Exploder

And here's Google Chrome

John Cage
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Try it now. Perhaps the enterprise.gif was corrupted, I've re-uploaded it. Try reloading the frame again. Downloading the font will make the system go very very very much faster. It's well worth doing.
email, ergo spam
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Still the same. I'll download the font for sure. I just thought I'd check things out before and after.
John Cage
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Ah, OK, it's a capitalization thing. ptVOY.gif is not the same as ptvoy.gif. Anyway, it should now be fixed...
Thanks
Ian
email, ergo spam