Vorta is the matter with Duras?

Deep Space Nine

Would in different circumstances, the klingons ally with the dominion?

Yes, it would be glorious!
56%
Yes, but there would be substantial rifts
22%
No, never !
22%

Total votes: 9
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Vorta is the matter with Duras?

Post by Granitehewer »

Appreciated that in 'Soldiers of the Empire' that Leskit says that the Jem Hadar have no honour and a clearly traumatised Martok calls them ''soulless creatures fighting for no goal, no purpose except to serve the Founders. They take no pleasure in what they do... nothing is glorified, nothing affirmed.''

We have seen examples of klingonesque honour shown by jem hadar innumerable times in 'By Inferno's Light', 'To the Death','Rocks and Shoals' etc, and we know how flexible klingon honour can be ('Rules of Engagement', 'Sins of the Father') etc.

Was wondering that if under slighty different circumstances, namely one in which the Klingon Empire was antagonistic to the United Federation of Planets (eg a Duras victory in the civil war), if anyone thought that the klingons might ally with the dominion, for example to carve up their mutual enemies, and how strong would that alliance be?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Vorta is the matter with Duras?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I see no reason why they wouldn't turn on the UFP. Particularly if they had recently been in conflict. We've seen plenty of times that "honour" for Klingons just means "what's in our interests".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And if they did side with the Dominion, it would have been the end of the feds (without plot protection that is).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

stitch626 wrote:(without plot protection that is).
I see some catastrophe falling the Empire on the horizon.

In all seriousness, I don't see why the klingon's wouldnt. With such a loose definition of honour (loose meaning it changes every 5 pigging seconds), they could easily be found to be agreeable to the Dominion, who do value combat even if it is to serve the Vorta and the founders.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It would be rediculously easy to conjure up a Klingon-Dominion alliance - if Sisko's mission in "Apocalypse Rising" had failed, and the war continued and led to a Klingon defeat, then I can easilly see the Klingons aligning themselves with the Dominion to avenge themselves, in much the same way Dukat allied Cardassia with the Dominion. Indeed, a Klingon-Dominion alliance would probably be more likely, given the presence of a Founder at the heart of the Klingon command structure.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Martok's description was probably intended as the biased comment of an injured and embarassed man, not an IU statement of absolutes. The Jem'Hadar have, as has been mentioned, been known to hold to a certain code; and their motivation is clearly of a dogmatic and religious nature.

If they weren't pre-cast as opponents, I could easily see the Klingons admiring, respecting, and allying with the Jem'Hadar.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

stitch626 wrote:And if they did side with the Dominion, it would have been the end of the feds (without plot protection that is).
It was the end of the Feds without plot protection as it was (the "prophets" keeping the Dominion fleet from crossing the wormhole)

I would certainly take Martok's comments as those of a wounded man; the Jem'Hadar who yielded when Worf would not stop the fight showed more "honor" than most Klingons (I loved that moment :D )

It wouldn't be unlike Klingons to ally themselves with the stronger side; there is no honor to be found in losing a great war!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

This would make a good WOTW. Its an very interesting cirsumstance. I tend to agree with Seafort that it could be very likely given the right situation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I can't imagine a WOTW going anywhere other than a massive victory for the Dominon/Cardassian/Breen/Klingon alliance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Would Cardassians still be on that side?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Would Cardassians still be on that side?
Not necessarilly, but you'd be replacing a second-rate power that's just been steamrollered with a great power that's demonstrated the ability to beat the Federation on its own, let alone with Dominion support.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Klingons may be stronger but they would but worse allies. Not nearly as easy to manipulate and lead around.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So? The end result would still be the UFP falling, which is the point of this thraed.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Klingons may be stronger but they would but worse allies. Not nearly as easy to manipulate and lead around.
Martok's Founder replacement seemed to be manipulating the Empire pretty easilly.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Am intrigued by whoever voted ''no never!'', as to their reasons, would be good to hear from them.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay