Ugly ship designs

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Ugly ship designs

Post by Bryan Moore »

Let me first say: I love this site http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/

However, why is it that so many fan ships are just normal ships with a third or fourth nacelle added? They're ugly, impractical, and really just make no sense. Why is this a trend? We don't farking see it in the series, why would it be any different outside?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because most people have no idea on how to design a ship?
The same could probably be said for those that work for the show as well though...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:Because most people have no idea on how to design a ship?
The same could probably be said for those that work for the show as well though...
But for better or worse, you have to admit there is at least consistency with the twin nacelle, saucer, secondary hull, etc. These are so absurd.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

absurd, but some people have a different idea of creativity than others. And I believe there are sadly enough more n00bz, fanboys and other idiots around to design ships than normal, fairly well minded, balanced ship designers who take proud in making credible and balanced designs. There are some good designs among the trek ships on that site. And if people would want to see good kitbashes, not being fanboyish or uber, I would gladly redirect those people at the fillowing link: http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?topic=1656.0 and all the links inside them, which mostly refer to other threads with kitbashe designs, which do not look kitbashed.
Last edited by shran on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

But for better or worse, you have to admit there is at least consistency with the twin nacelle, saucer, secondary hull, etc. These are so absurd.
Unfortunately, there are a lot more people out there who want to post a "cool" design than there are folks who actually entertain teh design principles of the 'Trek universe (in this case.)

Yet another reason why I just plain hate people.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Bernd »

Adding nacelles is popular because it is easy. We may justify the typical 1-minute cut&paste jobs (made with Windows Paint) with regard to Franz Joseph's designs. But artistically and technically they are complete no-brainers.

What makes me sad is that even some talented artists have wasted their time creating ships that essentially look just the same as those we already know. Although their work often looks great, at some time I grow tired of seeing new Constitution or Excelsior clones every few days.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I have nothing against designs looking the same. Think about it: A battleship, air craft carrier, and destroyer will all have mostly similar features. They're all military ships, and despite different functions, are going to have to have at least basic characteristics in common. I think the lack of discrepancies between ship designs isn't that ridiculous.
D. Sergez
Senior chief petty officer

Post by D. Sergez »

If you know where to look you can find good designs...

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... p_ares.jpg
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm not so sure I'd call that a great design. The sideways nacelles are pretty ugly, and are 4 really necessary? However, the effort into this one is a little bit more appreciated than just putting nacelles upside down on a Constitution and calling it innovative.

In general, I think most of this site is just like that - "Lets take an Intrepid and put Soverign nacells on it and call it a Nimitz"
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... imitz1.jpg
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Copy and paste ships are pointless and almost never well done. If you don't have the skill to make a new ship don't.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
D. Sergez

Post by D. Sergez »

ahhh.. that ones ugly... they didnt even do it right...
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Like with a lot of user created content, fan fiction, reviews etc on the net, you have to squeeze a lot of turds to find a pearl. I have looked at least a couple of thousand Federation ship mods for the Starfleet command games. Only about 1 or 2% are worth a damn, but that still adds up to 30 or so ships that are better than about half of the canon Fed designs.
Oddly, it seems to get better when you look at Klingon ships, in which I have a lot less interest. There are a lot less out there, but the percentage of good ones seems to rise to about 20%......
D. Sergez

Post by D. Sergez »

Thats why i like to Draw out my own designs instead of doing it on the Paper... and i can control what I Want... exactly shure the lines may not all be that streight...
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Man this has got to be one of the worst.

Its supposed to be an Enterprise F idea. I know my own design borrows very heavily from the E-E... but this guy didnt even try to make a new ship!! He took the nacelles and rotated them 90 degrees!!

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... sef_pr.jpg
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow. That reaches whole new levels of unimaginativity. I mean, I know I couldn't design a way out of a wet paper bag, but at least ideas I do come up with are a little original!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"