Iota Stellar destroyer

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Iota Stellar destroyer

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not quite - it's acceleration, not speed, that's important in space. Without the friction of an atmosphere, there's nothing restricting the speed of the ship until you get up to significant fractions of lightspeed, so the only meaningful way of comparing the mobility of various designs is their acceleration (i.e. increase in speed).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

so what is a realistic figure?

Better yet, what is star trek Accelerations? these are identical almost.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:so what is a realistic figure?
You're talking about an interstellar civilisation, spread over thousands of lightyears, that uses magic doors to get around the galaxy. "Realistic" doesn't come into it.
Better yet, what is star trek Accelerations? these are identical almost.
That is a big can of worms. TMP suggests an acceleration of 30 km/s^2. Ultimately, it depends on what you want them to do. How quickly do you want them to get from the outer reaches of a system to the habitable zone? What sort of mass do you want them to be able to drag around? Ultimately, for any fictional universe, the abilities of those within it are driven by the plot, not the other way round. The only important requirements are that it be internally consistent and pay at least lip service to real science.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In my sci-fi stuff, I list acceleration in terms of time taken from 0 to .25 of C, and then manuverability in terms of time taken for a 360 degree turn at 0.0009 and .25 of C. I don't know if that's the easiest way to do it, but it helps me visualize better in my head.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This is where i struggle, I dont understand that particularly easily.

But I had budgeted on the Slipstream Nodes being set at the edges of a system, and it taking....20 minutes? to get from the edge of the system to a habitable planet, normally between where Venus and Mars are.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Can't be done, at least not using sublight engines. Neptune's orbit, which is an absolute lower limit for the "edge" of the solar system, is 4.5 billion km out from the sun, and therefore 4.35 billion km from Earth, minimum. To travel that distance in 20 minutes would require an average speed of over 3.6 million km/s - about 12 times lightspeed. To reach Earth in that time from the termination shock, a much more realistic definition of the "edge", would require an average speed of about 35-40 times lightspeed.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, at sublight it's going to take several hours to get to the edge of a system with any realism.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Did not the Enterprise travel to Jupiter in mere minutes after she went to impulse?

then again enterprise took neptune a while.

To be brutally honest, I am not particularly bothered how long it takes, as long as i can get a reference of how fast thinks can go.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:Did not the Enterprise travel to Jupiter in mere minutes after she went to impulse?
Err, no. It took the best part of two hours.
then again enterprise took neptune a while.
"Neptune and back in six minutes" - at warp 4.5.
To be brutally honest, I am not particularly bothered how long it takes, as long as i can get a reference of how fast thinks can go.
From Neptune, the minimum time would be about four hours 20 minutes, from the termination shock 13 hours five minutes. This assumes accelerating for five minutes at 950 km/s^2 (about 97,000 g) for five minutes, cruising at .95c (285,000 km/s) and decelerating at the same rate at the destination. Unless you use technobabble to counteract relatavistic time dilation, the apparent on-board travel times would be about one hour, 21 minutes and four hours, 10 minutes respectively.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Fair enough on the Enterprise-A

bugger i made a typo on the neptune bit

And...okay...God i wish i was better at maths.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This particular modification is quite a common one, often used for protecting convoys, trade routes, and minor installations. The empty space behind the command module, normally inhabited by several laser turrets, has been filled with a large space for the carrying of 22 light attack drones. These drones are armed with medium plasma cannons (for their size) and are capable in numbers of eliminating small attack ships or fighters. The bays allow for small crews to conduct repairs. Each drone has redundant security systems incase of a rogue drone situation. The drones are cheap and fast to produce, and provide excellent support firepower.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nice. I always like to see common-sense usage of existing designs. It never seemed logical to me to have a whole separate design for something like this, when a refit is easy and cost-effective - especially in a mercantile economy, as Ariel seems to be.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've noted that there is a distinct flaw in this design, as there is no Anti-fighter armament along the ventral surface. I suppose two drones could remain to protect the ship, and the others continue with the normal objectives.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think it lends realism. Unless you have anti-fighter armament small enough to fit there (along with all the associated internal equipment,) it seems to be an unavoidable flaw.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

True. She still possesses a powerful anti-ship armament so i see no problems there.