Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Ep Discussion: SG1 1.20 "Politics"

Post by Varthikes »

Stargate: SG-1
"Politics"

Stargate's first clip show episode. SG1 would go on to do several of these during its run. Even SGA had one. And, I can appreciate their reasoning for doing them--they're money savers. Saving time and money for cool visual and special effects sequences.

And, as for "Politics"... This is another one of my Season 1 favorites. We get to see Samuels again, whom we haven't seen since the pilot. We're introduced to Kinsey, played by Ronny Cox (Captain Jellico in TNG's "Chain of Command"). Cox plays the politician role nicely--a real [jerk] adversary to the SGC, SG1 in particular. And, it's a great move to give the team an opponent within their own government.

I especially love it near the end where Kinsey, as he's on his way out, and the team face-off. And, then when the team stare out the window at the stargate as "TO BE CONTINUED..." appears with the dire music playing. It really magnifies their situation. It's a good thing that I first saw this on DVD. I think I would be having seizures if I was forced to wait a week between the episodes.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ep Discussion: SG1 1.20 "Politics"

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not a big fan of clip-shows, but this one was fairly good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

"Then they will regret taking on the United States." - Senator

"That's right we'll just upload a virus into the mothership." -Dr Jackson.
rofl!

I think clip episodes in season 1 are kind of silly. You'd think there wouldn't be enough show material to deal with.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I like how he said that GOD wouldn't allow them to destroy the earth. :laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:I like how he said that GOD wouldn't allow them to destroy the earth. :laughroll:
Yeah. Well given the fact the president at the time was Clinton this guy is almost certainly republican which makes total sense.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True, the GOP still ruled the House and Senate back then.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu