Keldon-class, why didn't the Cardassian Union make more?

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Keldon-class, why didn't the Cardassian Union make more?

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:Hey, at least you only have him for eight years. Over here we have 7 year terms for the president, and a total of two terms. We'd have had 14 years of Bush.
I thank God that we now have the two term limit. Enough already!!!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

You mean like Iraq, up until a year or so ago...
Yeah thats what I was getting at.

I agree though with both your points, its political suicide, I think they would have to wait until the troops hit the beaches as it were though.

On a side note Winamp just switched songs from Tom Paxton's - Lyndon Johnson Told The Nation to George W. Told The Nation, Irony, got to love it.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I disagree with drafting because I know that a HUGE percentage of people I know would fail to cope with it.

I certainly couldnt cope with going to war. Practically it works, getting loads of people out there to fight. But I couldn't do it. I couldnt look a man in the face and put a bullet through his gut.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:...I couldnt look a man in the face and put a bullet through his gut.
How about his face?

J/K, I respect everyone's positions on the subject.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly, I'm against conscription in any form.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I think that service in a National Guard type of thing should be mandatory (barring Medical Issues), like a 5 year deal, you pick anytime to start between 18-25. Deployment overseas would require the persons consent.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Reliant121 wrote:I disagree with drafting because I know that a HUGE percentage of people I know would fail to cope with it.

I certainly couldnt cope with going to war. Practically it works, getting loads of people out there to fight. But I couldn't do it. I couldnt look a man in the face and put a bullet through his gut.
Even if he's trying his hardest to put one threw yours??? Trust me when I say that when your life is on the line, and it's kill or be killed, instincts just take over.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

While you never know until it happens I would like to think I'd sign up if my country needed me.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mark wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I disagree with drafting because I know that a HUGE percentage of people I know would fail to cope with it.

Even if he's trying his hardest to put one threw yours??? Trust me when I say that when your life is on the line, and it's kill or be killed, instincts just take over.
Indeed They do which is why what I will say is a PREDICTION not TRUE

I would probably be shot.

I abhore the thought of killing an other, To me, If i kill another human then...well I have basically failed at life. Because I am so guided by what I think right/wrong.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I definitely see the difference between "killing" and "murder," but in general I'm not a violent man. I've been pushed to it in defense of myself or my loved ones, but that's what it takes for me. I'm also not a candidate medically for most types of military service - "Could you call a time-out for a minute? I have to take a shot and have a snack."

However, my temper is such that once I've been pushed past a certain point, I'm one of those people who just loses it. The last time I got into a real physical brawl, I literally lost 15 minutes of my life - complete blank, zero recollection. So I'd be one of the quet ones, but then when rounds start zipping past my ears, I'd be the guy standing over a corpse and emptying two extra clips into it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If it was a kill or be killed situation I think I'd just shoot the other guy to save myself. Not particularly noble, but then I never claimed to be.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I can honestly say, in the gun fight I mentioned in that other thread, I had every intention of killing that bastard had he given me the oppertunity to do so. I would have felt horrible after doing so, but at least I would have been alive so I COULD feel horrible.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Kill or be killed.

Its very simple and very human.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Draft isn't whats needed. Whats needed for the US is faith in its government. Calling a Draft now would just start a civil revolt. Who's going to enforce it? Who's going to allow it. When war comes to the US, our country does well enough at filling the ranks. After 911, the numbers of enlist grew so fast that we couldn't even keep up with the daily sign ups. Recruiment tripled across the board. It never slowed in the least bit until the invasion of Iraq.

I'd feel sorry for anyone sent out to enforce a draft right now. Their life span would be cut very short, at least around here. I'm not willing to die for a war I don't believe in.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The problem is that the US is not under attack, ergo no one is willing to join up, and setting up the draft again would be political suicide for any politician.