Monmouth class ASW Frigate

State of origin: Britannia

Type: Anti submarine warfare combat frigate

Crew: 132

Displacement: 2895 tonnes

Dimensions:- Length: 110 metres
Beam: 12 metres
Draught: 4.9 metres

Armament: 1 x 150 mm plasma cannon, 1 x 70 mm plasma cannon, 1 x quad barrel gatling laser, 1 x pulse laser
4 x twin lancet fish torpedo launchers, 2 x twin Huguenot SAM missile launchers, 2 x 3 barrel Spear anti submarine missile barrels

Auxiliary craft: provisions for 1 x light attack blastboat (small attack aerial craft), usually the Harken-lifkenhaarger HL SC-60

Speed: 54.1 knots

The Submarines had always been a bane against the alliance navy, serving as a major tempest that managed to eliminate the ranks of naval forces very effectively. As such, the Monmouth class was commissioned, armed with advanced anti submarine weaponry. While not the fastest vessel ever, she was certainly capable at her task, finally eliminating the issue of Submarine attacks that plagued alliance fleets for many a year.

Anti-submarine torpedoes are slow to track, but deliver a payload that is almost guarenteed to eliminate the target. The issue with them is, that many alien cultures use small one man fighter-like subs, often capable of evading torpedoes. Thats where the ASW missiles come in. These are medium payload, highly maneuverable and capable of tracking a small submarine through complex and dangerous turns. Torpedoes confer the added Surface to Surface firepower element, as torpedoes can be targeted on either surface or submerged targets.

The blastboat is the Ariel equivalent of a on board helicopter on board modern day vessels. They can serve as search and rescue craft, surface attack, ASW platforms or mobile fire assistance. Not many alliance ships carry provisions to land a blastboat, as the ship itself is normally plenty capable of dealing with threats or situations that commonly arise. Blastboats are often used to support or extract Naval infiltrators in on shore combat operations, or to provide assistance to major offensives. The blastboat hanger can be emptied of its resident craft, and used as provisional storage, or as emergency evacuation/medical station for up to 300 civilians.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: ARIEL: Monmouth class ASW frigate

Post by Reliant121 »

I posted this a tad in a rush, because (lucky old me) I was on a date. I updated some of the features, and included the blastboat which i had forgotten to include.
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Abraxas »

First of all... you Eurpoeans spell "draft" VERY strangely. "Draught"? What the hell? :wtf:

I mean, I can cope with "colour" and "armour" (mostly because Games Workshop made me), but this abuse of the American language HAS to stop :wink: !

Anyway, I'm curious how you're coming up with your displacement figures, cause to me, 2895 tonnes seems unusally low for a ship of that size. When I saw it, I immediately thought of the US Coast Guard Hamilton High Endurance Cutter, which is 378' long (~115 m) has a beam of 43' (~13 m) and draws 19.75' (~6 m) - very close to the dimensions this ship has. It's displacement is 3250 tonnes, so you may want to up yours to about 3200 or 3150 tonnes... if you were really going for realism.

And if you want to determine relative dimensions of your future ships, the GlobalSecurity.org website has good information on every ship in the US Navy and the navies of other countries around the world. It's a good way to compare relative sizes of what you want with ships that exist today. It's also a good source of design ideas and, more specifically, information on the weapons particular ships use and why they were put on. It's just a good resource, in my opinion.

Keep up the good work! As a naval architect (why do I feel compelled to say this in every post I make? :roll: ), I really like looking at these!
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have a book that i often take inspiration from, "Destroyers, Frigates and Corvettes" By Robert jackson. It has around 300 modern and olden styled vessels in it. I cant remember what design i looked for in inspiration for this, but it was roughly the same size, yet its tonnage was Smaller. I have a feeling it was Russian.

And I use FAS quite alot for stuff like that.