3.000.000 Clones and SW2

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: 3.000.000 Clones and SW2

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The "million worlds" quote is actualy from the radio version of ANH, which is just below the film in terms of canonicity.
Tarkin said something like "this station will be the final link in the chain that will bind the million worlds of the Empire together."
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

While I agree that only 3 mil clones would not be realistic, we must remember that there were natives on most of the planets. And most likely, they would not be happy of the CIS trying to take them over. There were also Jedi fighting the CIS. We also don't know how many other troops there were in the Republic. We also don't know how effective the clones were. Perhaps each clone could take out an average of 10 droids.
I'm just saying, there are other factors that win a war other than numbers.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:While I agree that only 3 mil clones would not be realistic, we must remember that there were natives on most of the planets. And most likely, they would not be happy of the CIS trying to take them over.
The CIS also had auxillaries - the two forces effectively cancel each other out.
There were also Jedi fighting the CIS.
Jedi are good, but massed firepower can take them down - look at the Geonosian arena for example.
We also don't know how effective the clones were. Perhaps each clone could take out an average of 10 droids.
In which case you'd still need hundreds of trillions of clones, minmum.
I'm just saying, there are other factors that win a war other than numbers.
There are, but numbers are still vitally important - unless you're prepared to BDZ every planet the CIS takes, you need to be able to deploy sufficient numbers to take and hold those planets. If you want to know what happens when people try and use technology to compensate for inadequate numbers look at Iraq - it's taken five years, hundreds of thousands of deaths, a massive troop suge and a big dolop of luck to clear up Rumsfeld's mess, and it still isn't done.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The fact that it was known as the Clone Wars would kinda suggest that clones made up that majority of the Republic's military during that time.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Here ya go:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_galaxy

The Empire has a good deal more than a million worlds. I would take Tarkin's quote as kind of a bit of conversation not fact. Kind of reverse of in VOY when that Native American dude who I cant spell says there are millions of Borg cubes.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The "million worlds" have been mentioned since then as only refering to full member states, with all the colonies, protectorates, and suchlike being subordinate to them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:The "million worlds" have been mentioned since then as only refering to full member states, with all the colonies, protectorates, and suchlike being subordinate to them.
I guess that makes sense. In Star Wars it seems to have a sense of feudalism and vassalage in terms of what planets owe their alleigences to others. Corellia spawned dozens of planets with a different culture than say Coruscant or Kuart. Also it seems the majority of species in the Galaxy are very low in number and don't leave their local cluster. You got species like Human, Rodian, Gran, and the like which roam around the Galaxy but it seems the majority just don't expand much. Which is realistic I suppose given the size of the Galaxy. My problem is the minimalist outlook on the populations of the Twi'lek for example. Twi'leks are everywhere they should have a populuation in the trillions but I think there's only suppose to be like 100 billion of them max. Seems very low.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've always felt less than half the galaxy is part of 'Known Space' due to the difficulties in hyperspace travel, but that's just a theory of mine. It's been mentioned in several places how hard it is to explore outside the regular shipping and travel lanes.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've always felt less than half the galaxy is part of 'Known Space' due to the difficulties in hyperspace travel, but that's just a theory of mine. It's been mentioned in several places how hard it is to explore outside the regular shipping and travel lanes.
Difficult but not impossible. Remember races like the Bith have a civilization a million years old. Hyperdrive might only be 25k old or so but interstellar flight has been around at least 200,000 years with the Zhell and the Tangun or however its spelled.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Also remember that the number of systems that were watched over were so great that whole sectors had been forgotten about. There isn't any true way to know how many worlds there are.

As to the Clone Wars. I think its time for a new WotW.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It should be noted that the canon map seen in AOTC shows that not only is the galaxy quite large, but that there are two "satalite" galaxies nearby.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Monroe wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've always felt less than half the galaxy is part of 'Known Space' due to the difficulties in hyperspace travel, but that's just a theory of mine. It's been mentioned in several places how hard it is to explore outside the regular shipping and travel lanes.
Difficult but not impossible. Remember races like the Bith have a civilization a million years old. Hyperdrive might only be 25k old or so but interstellar flight has been around at least 200,000 years with the Zhell and the Tangun or however its spelled.
You're right, It's not impossible, but when Han friggin' Solo exercises caution while making jumps, you know it's not exactly see-spot-run stuff. ;)
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Monroe wrote:
The first race to have Hyperdrive was the Rakata, who invented it 50,000 BBY and created an intersteller empire that conquered the Sith, Zhell, Humans, Wookies, Noghri, etc. that was 500 worlds big and unknown how many colonies.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Monroe wrote:
The first race to have Hyperdrive was the Rakata, who invented it 50,000 BBY and created an intersteller empire that conquered the Sith, Zhell, Humans, Wookies, Noghri, etc. that was 500 worlds big and unknown how many colonies.
But there were older civilizations out there. We don't know what those ones used. And current hyperspace didnt' come from the Rakata AFAIK it came from the Duros I think. The Bith had a civil war a million years ago that ruined their empire. The race that built Centerpoint Station clearly had massive technological advances but we don't know what they used.

Its not far fetched to imagine hyperspace has been invented several times. With 20 million species currently running around the Galaxy its bound to come up a few times.

-Remain Star Trek-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rakata hyperdrive was Force-powered, IIRC. The Corellians and Duros had to reverse-engineer the damned things to work wthout the mojo, again IIRC.

The Rakatans? 600 worlds, and that was it.