ARIEL - Demitrayev SSF attack sub

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

ARIEL - Demitrayev SSF attack sub

Post by Reliant121 »

Demitrayev class SSF sub

Armament: 6 x Aqua-mod fusion submarine torpedo tubes with a total of 42 reloads
8 x light lancet laser turrets
1 x light plasma cannon

Crew compliment of 47

Length: 257 metres
Draught: 18.3 metres
Beam: 37.9 metres

Maximum speed: 46 knots

The Demitrayev attack sub is the pinnacle of current earth sub technology, incorporating numerous design features and editions not previously conceived of. The hull is constructed of a newly created hybrid material, a Nuridium Di-molidate compound designed to maximize hull strength and resistance to pressures, meaning this ship can dive deeper than anything before, nearly 7 kilometres if necessary, compared to 5 kilometres of Standard Nuridium constructed ships. The increased torpedo armament means she is more capable at dealing out pain to an enemy, the increase in weapons armament across the board makes her an improvement. He speed is far superior, making her an effective fast response unit. normal operation practice is to assign one of these ships, a uncommon site due to construction times, to command a squadron of the older Lasnekovir class. The hull has been structured to eliminate straight edges in order to reduce water resistance, part of what makes the advanced speed.
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: ARIEL - Demitrayev SSF attack sub

Post by shran »

Because pressure rises asyou go deeper, shouldn't you alter the basic shape of the sub to accomodate for such pressures, being that it should be more sphere-like?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Shape isnt that much of a variable with modern vessels. It was once, due to low capability materials. But as metals have become more complex in their construction, cellular lattices have become more intricate, metals have been more capable of resisting pressure. Those depths are incredibly low for most oceans and are rarely encountered, but it is theorized they are capable of goiing that deep.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Are the energy weapons merely for surface use, or are they deployable at depth at a degraded performance, or is there a way to avoid that degradation?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Energy weapons are for use underwater. The degradation is the range. In space, a laser cannon of this type could fire some 4,000 kilometres. In atmosphere, it can fire at ranges of 50 km, but there is no aiming equipment for such. Particle density reduces the effective output of the cannon though, and it gets weaker as it travels further.. Underwater, maximum range is roughly 5 km, due to the density of water. But they are rarely used at that range because of extreme inaccuracy. Normally they are used as point defense weapons or for attacking other species ships, because torpedoes struggle to maneuver as fast as other races fighter like craft.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Makes sense to me.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Plasma cannons have basically no reductions because of air and water. They are basically molten pellets containing the plasma, as such they literally incinerate the air/water around them. But the problem is, this heat and such lights up on vibrational scanners (because of the energy it supplies to water or air) like a christmas tree on a dark night. You fire a plasma cannon, you are like lighting a flare. The cannon may be powerful and effective at dispatching large targets, but they are a sure fire way of eliminating any stealth properties.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Plus, one would think that any energy lost to the surrounding medium would be that much less energy able to be transferred to the target.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

True. Plasma weaponry isn't affected much because the temperatures required to melt the plasma pellets are immense. But lasers do have a significant damage reduction.