the standing DQ fleet
47%

Total votes: 17
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Dominion war machine

Post by KuvahMagh »

As cheesy as that sounds it makes you think, though in reality I suspect you would be better off with a ship equipped with low observability or cloak technology and transporters...

For any serious operation though I think I would rely more on Armored Shuttles than even the Transporter, it has a place of course but it is easy to knock out.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Combat drop pods aren't really a new thing for SciFi. Halo, Battletech and Warhammer 40k all make use of the idea.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But naturally the pacifistic federation has forgotton how to kick a$$ it seems
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They lost Kirk and went downhill from there.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Where's the capital of Earth in the 24th century again? :france:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Explains a lot.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Combat drop pods aren't really a new thing for SciFi. Halo, Battletech and Warhammer 40k all make use of the idea.
Never mind all that new stuff - Starship Troopers had them back in the 50s.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, the idea of drop pods has been around for ages.
As cheesy as that sounds it makes you think, though in reality I suspect you would be better off with a ship equipped with low observability or cloak technology and transporters...
I wouldn't. Too vulnerable to the thousand and one ways you can jam transporters. Stick with shuttles and your chances of getting the troops on the ground got a lot better. Also, arm the shuttle and it can stick around to support the troops from the air.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Rochey wrote:Aye, the idea of drop pods has been around for ages.
I wouldn't. Too vulnerable to the thousand and one ways you can jam transporters. Stick with shuttles and your chances of getting the troops on the ground got a lot better. Also, arm the shuttle and it can stick around to support the troops from the air.
What about landers for ground vehicles too?

Starfleet Army should consist of highly trained ground troops SPECIALIZED in ground fighting. Not armed with the standard phaser rifle either, either one that's set on wide beam all the time, or a pulse phaser for rapid fire. Plus, disruptor/phaser resistant body armor to increase survivability.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mark wrote:Picture it.........A small starship warps into a system and fires what appear to be several dozen torpedos at a planet, then U-turns and warps out. Follow the tors entering the planets atmosphere, glowing hotter and hotter, until at a certain point it breaks away revealing a planetary assault trooper. The NEW Airborne Rangers!!!!
*Has visions of Lt Dolittle surfing into the atmosphere of a planet at the end of Dark Star (a movie you should all try and catch sometime)*
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

To me, the Cardies were one of the few races with some common sense in their design and tactics.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Combat drop pods aren't really a new thing for SciFi. Halo, Battletech and Warhammer 40k all make use of the idea.
Never mind all that new stuff - Starship Troopers had them back in the 50s.
Indeed, I forgot about them. My fav has to be the ones from Battletech. A dropship large enough to fit a whole divison on board. :twisted:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What about landers for ground vehicles too?
That too.
Starfleet Army should consist of highly trained ground troops SPECIALIZED in ground fighting. Not armed with the standard phaser rifle either, either one that's set on wide beam all the time, or a pulse phaser for rapid fire. Plus, disruptor/phaser resistant body armor to increase survivability.
I wouldn't have phasers set for wide beam all the time. What if there are civilians in the area? What if there are allied troops near the enemies' position? What if you're in a situation where accuracy is needed? Not to mention the fact that we've never seen any weapon on wide beam that wasn't on a stun setting, we don't know if the phaser has enough power to do a wide beam kill. And even if it did, it'd eat through the ammo very quickly.

Agreed on all the rest, though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Rochey wrote:Aye, the idea of drop pods has been around for ages.
I agree with you and said the same thing above;
For any serious operation though I think I would rely more on Armored Shuttles than even the Transporter, it has a place of course but it is easy to knock out.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Not to mention the fact that we've never seen any weapon on wide beam that wasn't on a stun setting, we don't know if the phaser has enough power to do a wide beam kill. And even if it did, it'd eat through the ammo very quickly.
Granted we've never SEEN it, but Tuvok DID mention that he had his phaser set to kill and on wide beam (when he was "possessed" by the alien and Chakotay was a "spirit"). That kind of leads one to believe that you COULD do it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.