Episode nits on the main site

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Episode nits on the main site

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, all fixed now apart from the button one. Not sure what that's about.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I do believe this is spelled wrong, from the Amok Time page:
Quote : "Love long, T'Pau and prosper." - Spock to T'Pau, the first time this phrase is used.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

me,myself and I wrote:I do believe this is spelled wrong, from the Amok Time page:
Quote : "Love long, T'Pau and prosper." - Spock to T'Pau, the first time this phrase is used.
Or it was instructional :happydevil:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Holy crap how did I miss that one. Fixed.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The first spelling of that quote was probably instructions from Sting. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
twitch2oh
Petty officer second class
Location: Always where I am, sometimes where I was and never where I'm supposed to be.

Post by twitch2oh »

Another series of nits from yours truly...

Under episode morals (see 'TNG: A Matter of Time' or 'Moral: CONMEN') it says "Charm and a little knowledge does mean they're really from the future." Shouldn't it say "does NOT mean"? To me the sentence is a bit awkward as it stands right now...

Secondly, under the main "Little Bangs" page... First you say that "...we can say that throughout Star Trek we have seen thirty seven shuttlecraft destroyed. Another ten were probably destroyed, whilst a further twenty two were possibly destroyed - but more likely recovered and returned to service.

(Now to begin my nitpicking! Muahahaha!) First off, compound numbers should always have a hyphen between them (e.g. thirty-seven). Second, the table above this sentence reflects 39 shuttle deaths, 11 probable deaths and 27 possible recoveries. The sentence should be changed to fit.

A little further down the page, we see this sentence: "Enterprise is going to have problems with shuttles, I can tell. It is establispag in "Terra Nova" that the ship has only two shuttles." I'm pretty sure that 'establispag' translates to 'established'...though I'm not sure of the language! Haha... Also, all of the Enterprise episodes have been released, right? So why say 'I can tell?' Shouldn't you have already seen? Or are we talking about 'they will have problems on the adventures we never see'?

Another numerical error: "We saw thirteen shuttles destroyed throughout the seven year run of Voyager, of which a dozen belonged to Voyager itself (the other being the Runabout Yellowstone). Another four were probably lost, and another twelve possibly lost - a total count of twenty eight craft." The math is wrong (13+4+12 does not equal 28, it equals 29), but there are more important things here... Voyager is supposed to have 14 possible losses, not 12... so the total should be 31. And once again, please refer to my note on compound numbers.

Further down... See the addition in red. Small and insignificant, but I'm a perfectionist... "Think of the Type 9 shuttle as being something like one of those kit cars you can buy - and any/a reasonably equipped garage could assemble such a car. "

And finally towards the bottom: "Nevertheless, the design is finispag and the ship built from scratch within a few days." Once again, 'finishpag' should translate to 'finished'. Is this the language of pag-ed? The suffix '-ed' is replaced with '-pag'? Might be fun, like pig latin... Oh, and shouldn't it say 'and the ship was built' instead of just 'ship built'?

Ok, that's all for now! You guys have done great so far... Hope I could help make it better without ticking anybody off! :poke: lol
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z
twitch2oh
Location: Always where I am, sometimes where I was and never where I'm supposed to be.

Post by twitch2oh »

Whoa! I missed a big one here... Shame on me! First off, under the description for Chroniton Torpedoes, it says that Kes used a tricorder to determine the temporal flux of the torpedo in Voyager. I believe Kes had already left Voyager by then. Instead, it was Seven of Nine who scanned the torpedo, who in my opinion is much better looking than Kes! :) Plus, under the page Temporal: Year of Hell you state "This variation on the Empire was equipped with Chronaton torpedoes..." Throughout the rest of the site 'chronaton' is spelled with an 'i'. Which is right?

Just thought I'd let you know...

Oh, and we know that Janeway 'invented' chroniton torpedoes from Endgame...right? (It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but i thought the future Janeway gave the Voyager of her past ablative armor and chroniton torpedoes...?) Anybody have an idea of where she got the idea? (Boy, does that sound repetitive...)
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

One small nit on your nits...
twitch2oh wrote:See the addition in red... any/a...
"any/a" is not preferred grammatically, if not altogether incorrect. Grammar prefers brevity when part of the dichotomous phrase may be understood; i.e., it should read "any" or "a," but not both. That's why using either "his" or "her" is correct when referencing a subject of unknown gender, but not "his/her."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
twitch2oh

Post by twitch2oh »

First off, thank you Mikey for pointing out my own grammatical error. I was in a hurry at that point and decided to sacrifice the conventions of grammar for something that most people could still understand... But I'm glad people are awake! Haha...

On another note, under the page pertaining to the Emergency Medical Hologram, the word 'undaunted' should be capitalized. Also, the page makes no reference to the EMH's command protocols which he wanted to add and did, as referenced by "VOY: Workforce, Part 1" and also by "VOY: Author, Author" during the trial to establish the Doctor as more of a person than a program. Also missing on the page is any reference to the Doctor's daydreaming subroutine...which was the whole inspiration for his Emergency Command Hologram routines....

Also, under Planets (see "VOY: Blink of an Eye") the title and link for the planet is misspelled. It is currently speeled "The Wierd Planet". this is one case where 'e' comes before 'i'...and a perfect example of why English is so hard to learn. We can't keep the rules the same! Ok, I think I'm done now...
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nitpicking the nitpicks..
twitch2oh wrote:First off, compound numbers should always have a hyphen between them
I've never heard this before - where did you get it from (an incidentally, which country are you in)?
Another numerical error: "We saw thirteen shuttles destroyed throughout the seven year run of Voyager, of which a dozen belonged to Voyager itself (the other being the Runabout Yellowstone). Another four were probably lost, and another twelve possibly lost - a total count of twenty eight craft." The math is wrong (13+4+12 does not equal 28, it equals 29)
However, 12+4+12 does equal 28 - the thirteenth was the Yellowstone, which wasn't one of Voyager's shuttles (and was in an alternate timeline in any event.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
twitch2oh

Post by twitch2oh »

Thank you Captain Seafort for keeping me on my toes! :)

I'm in the USA, and according to the Holt, Rinehart and Winston Elements of Language: Introductory Course Chapter 22, Page 606 (see http://my.hrw.com/la/elot/0030526620/st ... 06_608.pdf for my source) "Use a hyphen with compound numbers from twenty-one to ninty-nine."

I would also think that if we are counting the Yellowstone under Voyager in the Little Bangs table, it should be counted as a loss in the text.
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Think there's a typo in the Analysis section of the review of The Undiscovered Country.

The second sentence reads "Like ll of the good Trek films.." - should it read "like all of the good Trek films..." ?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or maybe he's really comparing them to just two of the good Trek films.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I'd like to argue the YATI for "The High Ground." Riker is called a hypocrite for going on a dangerous mission after being left in charge of the ship, it could be explained away merely as Riker still operating in a First Officer frame of mind. He's the one used to going off on the dangerous away missions.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've got to disagree. Riker learned that lesson in BoBW.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.