ARIEL - A-10 plasma carbine {Roznakova Side arms}

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

ARIEL - A-10 plasma carbine {Roznakova Side arms}

Post by Reliant121 »

The A-10 plasma carbine is the primary weapon utilized by the Terran military forces, and is a very popular weapon on the civilian market. Both 1 cm rifle barrels are configured to fire in tandem, producing a double blast effect. There are three settings, Blue: Stun, Yellow: Kill, Red: Maximum power. Maximum power is the safest the rifle can fire at safe limits, and is normally capable of disintegrating biological matter. Each rifle comes with a single high power plasma core, mounted underneath the rifle butt-stock. This plasma core is capable of charging 500 Blue shots, 300 Yellow shots and 100 Red shots. Using less of a more powerful shot, means more usage of a lower power shot so a rifle that always uses blue shots may get 2000 shots out of a single core. A sensor enhanced laser sight comes as standard, which provides a detailed analysis of the target item on the small screen on the top of the weapon. The stock is made from a synthetic, nano-polymer enhanced wood which can come in a variety of colours, but the standard as an oak or a Mahogany. The wood is laced with durable a Salinium-silicate based polymer, making it incredibly resistant to physical, environmental and age related damage. This weapon is so popular out of military service because of its ease of modification. Many companies are out there specifically created to modify this weapon alone, although most have moved out into other fields. Civilian models are weakened somewhat by a reduction in barrel size from 1 cm, to 0.7 cm, reducing the plasma charges size and output.
Last edited by Reliant121 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ARIEL - A-10 plasma carbine {Roznakova Side arms}

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hm, I'm a bit dubious about this design, personaly. I have a few questions and a bit of criticism. No doubt by the end of this post Kendall and Seafort will by groaning at my lack of knowledge of gun terminology. :)

1) Where's the trigger? Is it fired by that button just under the setting controls? If it is, then it'd be a lot harder to purposefully fire (due to its positioning) and a lot easier to set off by accident than a trigger (unless the button is difficult to depress, which makes it even harder to fire for the soldiers). I'd suggest reverting to the good old fashioned trigger. There's a reason we still use them today instead of buttons.

2) How do you hold it? I'm right handed, so I'm guessing I put my left hand on the fore-grip, and then....what? Where do I put my right hand? There's no grip for my right hand to hold it with.

3) Is there another set of power controls on the opposite side of the gun? If there's not, that would make it difficult to use for left handed people (they'd have to take their left hand off the trigger/firing button to change settings which isn't a good idea).

4) Does it have a safety? You have three buttons for power settings, but none that I can see that would turn the gun off that doesn't involve removing the power core.

5) While we're on the subject of the buttons, I'd advise changing the ammo setting method from three different buttons to a single switch that you can flick with your thumb, similar to the fire mode selector switch on modern firearms. Buttons are far to easy to be pressed by accident in combat.

6) Does it have different modes of fire? Semi-auto, burst, full-auto, etc?

7) How do you remove the power core? I see what looks like some sort of lever at the back, is that it?

8) The design of the weapon itself doesn't look very flexible. I see nowhere to mount add-ons like a torch or grenade launcher.

9) Does the targetting laser thing function as a magnifying scope as well?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Rochey wrote:Hm, I'm a bit dubious about this design, personaly. I have a few questions and a bit of criticism. No doubt by the end of this post Kendall and Seafort will by groaning at my lack of knowledge of gun terminology. :)

1) Where's the trigger? Is it fired by that button just under the setting controls? If it is, then it'd be a lot harder to purposefully fire (due to its positioning) and a lot easier to set off by accident than a trigger (unless the button is difficult to depress, which makes it even harder to fire for the soldiers). I'd suggest reverting to the good old fashioned trigger. There's a reason we still use them today instead of buttons.
It is the button, I was umming and erring on whether to have a trigger or a button. I think you could be right, I can modify it if necessary
2) How do you hold it? I'm right handed, so I'm guessing I put my left hand on the fore-grip, and then....what? Where do I put my right hand? There's no grip for my right hand to hold it with.

I had intended that you would grip the underside of the Stock close to the trigger, but again i could modify with a small grip.
3) Is there another set of power controls on the opposite side of the gun? If there's not, that would make it difficult to use for left handed people (they'd have to take their left hand off the trigger/firing button to change settings which isn't a good idea).

There is a second set.
4) Does it have a safety? You have three buttons for power settings, but none that I can see that would turn the gun off that doesn't involve removing the power core.

Depending on model, the early models have a double press function on the red setting which closes off the plasma feed from the firing chamber
5) While we're on the subject of the buttons, I'd advise changing the ammo setting method from three different buttons to a single switch that you can flick with your thumb, similar to the fire mode selector switch on modern firearms. Buttons are far to easy to be pressed by accident in combat.

Good point, i did this 1) for modern-ness and 2) for ease of drawing.
6) Does it have different modes of fire? Semi-auto, burst, full-auto, etc?

Semi-automatic, one press one blast. A more expensive automatic version has been developed the A-10-CX, but because it is burst/full auto it is no longer a carbine, and is classified as a combat rifle by Triumvirate Security services.
7) How do you remove the power core? I see what looks like some sort of lever at the back, is that it?

the entire grey bit on the bottom of the stock is the core. theres a small opening in the underside of the stock that you slide the core, and twist to port to lock in.
8) The design of the weapon itself doesn't look very flexible. I see nowhere to mount add-ons like a torch or grenade launcher.

the weapon is modular in construction, the stock clips on the barrel, the sight clips on the barrel, the front mount clips on the barrel. For a grenade launcher, the fore grip is removed, and the grenade launcher is mounted directly below the weapon with a leather grip directly on the grenade chamber. On the sight, the only actual laser sight is the red bit. the Blue bits represent a two cone torch rated and lighting at a maximum distance of 50 ft.
9) Does the targetting laser thing function as a magnifying scope as well?

No, scope is attached to the top of the laser sight. Sniper versions are normally tweaked slightly to increase the firepower at expense of the Semi-automatic firing speed because of the increased temperature strain on the barrels.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It is the button, I was umming and erring on whether to have a trigger or a button. I think you could be right, I can modify it if necessary
I'd go for a trigger. It's easier to use yet harder to set off by accident.
I had intended that you would grip the underside of the Stock close to the trigger, but again i could modify with a small grip.
I'd advise putting a second grip for your right hand. It's difficult to hold the way you describe it (almost impossible to fire lying prone from what I can see) and any recoil would seriously screw with your aim that way.
There is a second set.
Okay, good.
Depending on model, the early models have a double press function on the red setting which closes off the plasma feed from the firing chamber
Okay, but there could be some confusion over that. I'd go with a seperate button altogether.
Good point, i did this 1) for modern-ness
Not a good idea in this case. When it comes to weapons, practicality > aesthetics.
2) for ease of drawing.
Fair enough.
Semi-automatic, one press one blast. A more expensive automatic version has been developed the A-10-CX, but because it is burst/full auto it is no longer a carbine, and is classified as a combat rifle by Triumvirate Security services.
Okay.
the entire grey bit on the bottom of the stock is the core. theres a small opening in the underside of the stock that you slide the core, and twist to port to lock in.
Okay.
the weapon is modular in construction, the stock clips on the barrel, the sight clips on the barrel, the front mount clips on the barrel. For a grenade launcher, the fore grip is removed, and the grenade launcher is mounted directly below the weapon with a leather grip directly on the grenade chamber.
Good idea. Reminds me of the XM-8.
On the sight, the only actual laser sight is the red bit. the Blue bits represent a two cone torch rated and lighting at a maximum distance of 50 ft.
Okay, that's good.
No, scope is attached to the top of the laser sight. Sniper versions are normally tweaked slightly to increase the firepower at expense of the Semi-automatic firing speed because of the increased temperature strain on the barrels.
Okay.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Taking your recommendations, the A10 MOD-1

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Much better. :)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'll try to get one up with a long range scope and one with a Fusion grenade launcher at some point.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

In this one, is the safety a separate switch, or part of the power selector? If it's the former I'd suggest switching it.

I'd also recommend removing the forward grip entirely. At the moment the natural way to hold the weapon would be at about waist height, but if you removed it that would change to pulling the stock into your shoulder, making use of the sight much easier.

Regarding the magazine capacity, I suggest you significantly bump up the number of stun shots the weapon can fire if that was all that was being used - at the moment the numbers imply that that the "kill" and "maximum" settlings are barely more powerful than stun.

I'd advise a burst fire or full-auto setting if this is the standard-issue Terran infantry weapon - single-shot is fine for long-range stuff, but in CQB volume of fire is essential.

The magazine position looks a bit iffy, as it appears to be far enough back to make a quick change rather difficult. Since a major trend in firefights over the centuries has been ever-increasing ammunition expenditure, you need to be able to reload quickly and safely while under fire.

Other than these points, which are mainly nitpicks based on the fact that I love military minutae, the weapon looks good. It's a simple yet useful design, it's got the basics of stock, trigger guard and sights, and its got the minimum number of settings consistent with its employment. The lights, while not strictly necessary, would probably be an improvement overall, as the torch that would inevitably get taped to the side otherwise would adversely affect its balance. Good job.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The scoped version. it features a manual focusing system that consolidates two separate laser sight beams on the target, showing that the chambers micro-focusing is in sync and the shot is clear. I've got the forward grip on this for stability.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And as to the automatic fire, most Secondary weapons are automatic in fire ability for close combat. But alot of battles are fought at very large ranges, only night fighting tends to be fought at shorter range. But i can edit it so the A10-CX is the standard Terran weapon.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'm simply giving my impressions and opinions. If you want to get into the nitty-gritty of what you need for the weapon in context, rather than a list of modern weapon characteristics, Kendall would be a better source than me, as my knowledge is almost entirely theoretical rather than practical.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Nah, thankyou for the constructive criticism. I was beginning to think i was being ignored :P

I'm just gonna do the non front mount version. does there need to be any replacement for it? or just hold the barrel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:I'm just gonna do the non front mount version. does there need to be any replacement for it? or just hold the barrel.
You'd need something to isolate your hand from the barrel, as it'd probably get very hot, but that's essentially right.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'll come up with a technobabblish reason.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The current Terran military version, a slightly modified A10-CX Automatic configured rifle is featured above. the Front grip has been removed and replaced with a small Leather hand grip. The metals around the area have been coated with a heat dampening compound Luridiam, Luridiam being a highly heat absorbing metal.