Founder Confusion

Deep Space Nine
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Founder Confusion

Post by stitch626 »

Odo has stated that he cannot mimic Humans perfectly. And whenever we saw the main Founder, she looked just like Odo (except female).
Yet, on occasions, Founders could imitate humanoids near perfectly, such as the one who "replaced" Martok and Bashir.

Is it that only a few can mimic really well, while the others are just so-so?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Founder Confusion

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I imagine it would take a fair degree of skill to perfectly mimic an individual.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Don't forget that the female Founder was able to mimic Kira well enough to fool Odo. I think the likeliest solutions are either a) maintaining that somewhat ill-defined form is a lot less tiring, b) she was deliberately copying Odo.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok, well I was just a little confused.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The A+ mimickers are the special forces of the Founders. Espionage, reconnaissance, infiltration, sabotage. Only the best of the best are sent on these missions.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Frankly, I always thought that ALL the 'Great Link' Founders were perfect mimickers because, well, they were all part of the Great Link. However, Odo having been sent out on Recon as a infant, never had the support and nuturing of the GL and therefore, never developed to his true potential as a shapeshifter.

As for the Founder 'leader' female, I agree with Seafort. Kind of like every time you see Q with a Captain's uniform with Picard, Janeway or Sisko or a Commanders with Riker, so she mimicked the appearance of Odo and his limitations.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I always thought she choose to look like Odo to make him feel beter and allow them to be spotted easiy.

But Seafort makes a good point that it may also be less effort to hold that shape.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't recall where, but I thought it was mentioned that Odo's ability to mimic humanoids was impaired due to his separation from the Link, which would lead one to believe that the Founders of the Great Link would all be able to mimic a humanoid pretty well.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:I don't recall where, but I thought it was mentioned that Odo's ability to mimic humanoids was impaired due to his separation from the Link, which would lead one to believe that the Founders of the Great Link would all be able to mimic a humanoid pretty well.
This might have been from The Search, in fact. Why Odo never decided to change afterwards, who knows. Still uncomfortable? Wanted to remain familiar to the crew?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yet he could mimic other things perfectly. Never quite understood that.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

He probably could have mimmicked a human form more accurately if he'd wanted to but didn't, either to make it easier for everyone else, or because he was used to that "default" humainoid form and didn't want to change it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd swear that I'd heard onscreen that his mimicry of humanoids was somewhat retarded due to basically being self-taught. Don't have chapter and verse, though. :|
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:I'd swear that I'd heard onscreen that his mimicry of humanoids was somewhat retarded due to basically being self-taught. Don't have chapter and verse, though. :|
I heard something like that, too. Maybe it's also a mental block?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Maybe it's also a mental block?
Odo's, or ours? :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe he could only mimic a look, that why he could turn into a bird fine but he couldnt turn into a human since he would be stealing someone else's image.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.