''Nominal Allies''

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: ''Nominal Allies''

Post by Teaos »

But if you had a sign on your car saying "Key this car and I will murder your whole family" it makes it less evil. Thats basically what the Dominion had, everyone knows not to mess with them or pay the costs, these guys paid the cost.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

No it doesn't. It makes the sense of the planet's leaders somewhat questionable, but it doesn't make the Dominion less evil.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos, by that logic if Hitler had warned the Jews that he was going to kill them if they didn't leave Germany, then he wouldn't have been evil.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not quite. It would have been the same as Hitler saying if you rise up against me I will kill you. The Dominion was wuite happy to let them live under their rule.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

We're not just talking about executing the leaders of a rebellion, we're talking about condemning every single member of the entire species for countless generations to a slow, painful death.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

From the script you gave it makes it sound like it was a majortiy thing, the whole (or most of) the species tried to rebel.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

1) I'd say that's a figure of speech, in the same sense that "America rebelled against Britain". That doesn't mean that every single member of the population was a minuteman, or in the Continental Army. While I don't doubt that such a rebellion would have significant passive support, it doesn't equate to every member of the species taking up arms.

2) How is that relevent? The Bight affected every member of the species ever born after its introduction. They never fought against the Dominion - but they received exactly the same punishment, even if they were born centuries after the rebellion. That's what makes it evil.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

1) I'd say that's a figure of speech, in the same sense that "America rebelled against Britain". That doesn't mean that every single member of the population was a minuteman, or in the Continental Army. While I don't doubt that such a rebellion would have significant passive support, it doesn't equate to every member of the species taking up arms.
I would guess it at a massive majority who rebeled in someway. It would be almost impossible for the Dominion to target just them.
) How is that relevent? The Bight affected every member of the species ever born after its introduction. They never fought against the Dominion - but they received exactly the same punishment, even if they were born centuries after the rebellion. That's what makes it evil.
From what the guy said almost everyone died right away and dies young. Only a small fraction of the population was strong enough to fight it off long enough to have kids (which it kinda retarded, its like someone who is HIV positive having kids).

The Dominion wasnt intentionally being evil by dooming little babies to die, they used a virus that killed the vast majority fast and young, a small fraction live longer.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:I would guess it at a massive majority who rebeled in someway. It would be almost impossible for the Dominion to target just them.
Evidence that it was a "massive majority", rather than the bloke using a common figure of speech, such as I've compared it with? In any event, we're talking about an empire that covers hundreds, if not thousands of cubic light years. To say that they don't have the resources to selectively target a subset of a single planet's population is ludicrous. The fact that they were using Jem'Hadar as policemen on Cardassia Prime, even when they were stretched thin and the war was going badly for them is a very strong indication that they'd have been able to use them to find and kill rebels on a single planet, during peacetime, with access to their main industrial base. The simple fact is that they didn't want to - they wanted to make an example of the locals.
From what the guy said almost everyone died right away and dies young. Only a small fraction of the population was strong enough to fight it off long enough to have kids (which it kinda retarded, its like someone who is HIV positive having kids).

The Dominion wasnt intentionally being evil by dooming little babies to die, they used a virus that killed the vast majority fast and young, a small fraction live longer.
It was leaving enough of them alive that there was still a viable population generations later, and no suggestion that the species was in imminent danger of dying out any time soon. This suggests that while infant mortality must be huge, it isn't quite as great as the bloke implies.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

KuvahMagh wrote:-How horrible, fantastic, incredible, it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing.

-However much we may sympathize with a small nation confronted by a big and powerful neighbors, we cannot in all circumstances undertake to involve the whole British Empire in a war simply on her account.

British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, 1937-1940

I'm sure I don't need to go into the details but suffice it to say the Romulans could have believed for some wacked reason they could get along with the Dominion...
Quote of the Month
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

#1 - As WE are discussing whether WE think it;s good or evil, OUR conception of morality is the only one that needs to, or can, be applied.

#2 - Warning someone that you will do evil to them doesn't make it less evil.

#3 - The Dominion would have been able to easily put down a rebellion, even ruthlessly enough to make an example of the Teplans, without doing something as terrible as the blight.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer