''Nominal Allies''

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: ''Nominal Allies''

Post by Teaos »

Again I say, in my opinion is taking pleasure or enjoyment out of doing it. They did not.

So unless you can show me a scene with a bunch of Vorta circle jerking to the plauge planet its just a really nasty thing to do.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So, Pol Pot wasn't evil? Or what Stalin did to the Ukrainians or Russian Orthodox?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They were both human, and we can apply human lables of good and evil. The Dominion AREN'T human, and what THEY consider evil would likely vary. What if they saw it that as by making an example of this one species, it wouldn't be nessessary to do have to do it to another. After all, if I saw them infect someone with something like that, I would go out of my way to avoid irritating them.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Or exterminate them very quickly.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

"Making an example of" to avoid further unnessessary bloodshed.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:They were both human, and we can apply human lables of good and evil. The Dominion AREN'T human, and what THEY consider evil would likely vary.
I don't give a sh*t what the Dominion considers evil. I'm pretty sure neither Stalin, Pol Pot, or Karadzic considered their actions evil either.
What if they saw it that as by making an example of this one species, it wouldn't be nessessary to do have to do it to another. After all, if I saw them infect someone with something like that, I would go out of my way to avoid irritating them.
In other words, the Tarkin Doctrine. The fact that its an effective deterrent is irrelevent. It's the fact that they condemed every member of an entire species, for generations, to die in agony because a fraction of one generation p*ssed them off.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

"I" didn't say that it wasn't evil, only that in their alien psyche, they may not see it the same way.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:"I" didn't say that it wasn't evil, only that in their alien psyche, they may not see it the same way.
I reiterate: what the Dominion considers evil is utterly irrelevant.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Whether the Dominion considers themselves evil is irrelevant. Even the Nazis didn't believe they were evil.
The question is whether from our point of view the Dominion's actions were evil.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And I still say they werent. Life under their rule doesnt seem so bad, they only screw you over when you oppose them.

Nasty - yes, evil - no.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:And I still say they werent. Life under their rule doesnt seem so bad, they only screw you over when you oppose them.
And when they screw you over, they don't just screw you over, they screw over every future member of your entire species as well. That's pretty damn evil - worse than Tarkin in my opinion.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Play with fire and your gonna get burned.

Dont piss off the Dominion and they wont destroy your race.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Play with fire and your gonna get burned.

Dont **** off the Dominion and they wont destroy your race.
As I said further up - the fact that it's an effective deterrent isn't relevant to a discussion of whether or not they're evil.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

*shurg* I think the fact that they had a reason, and were provoked makes it not evil.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'd compare it to killing someone's entire extended familly because they keyed your car. Yes, you'd have a reason, and you'd have been provoked. Doesn't make it not-evil though.